New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Old new guy here

Old 07-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Default Old new guy here

Hello all ! I was searching around for some accessories and stumbled upon this forum. Hopefully it'll be a wealth of info when I need it. I'm a retired 18 wheel owner/operator located in S. Central Ky. My wheels are an '03 Silverado LT crew 4x4 with quadrasteer and only 50k miles, a '99 Exploder Sport 2 door with all of 34K miles, and a '99 BMW R1100RT cycle with 50k on it. Oh, yeah, and more lawn equipment than most of the lawn services around here have, and even a towable man lift that I bought just to trim my own trees. Nuts, huh?

Old 07-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the family my fellow retired Driver.
Glad your hear. Enjoy your stay.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by Old Grouch
Hello all ! I was searching around for some accessories and stumbled upon this forum. Hopefully it'll be a wealth of info when I need it. I'm a retired 18 wheel owner/operator located in S. Central Ky. My wheels are an '03 Silverado LT crew 4x4 with quadrasteer and only 50k miles, a '99 Exploder Sport 2 door with all of 34K miles, and a '99 BMW R1100RT cycle with 50k on it. Oh, yeah, and more lawn equipment than most of the lawn services around here have, and even a towable man lift that I bought just to trim my own trees. Nuts, huh?

Pretty sweet - how did you manage to keep all your mileage so low! Every time I get a car I could swear I throw on at least 19K a year! I own a 2006 1500 Silverado Vortec 6000- not a single issure - and it kicks so much @$$ during the winter. I also piked up a 91 Caddy Seville recently - just for S and G! Post some pics!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Thumbs up Old New Guy Here again

The low mileages are a result of owning my own semi for 22 years, the last 16 of which it was parked right here in my yard when I was home. Hence, no commuting to & from work. Does wonders on keeping the mileages down.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Administrator

I can relate to that. When I was driving for Laidlaw Carriers. My 98 Dodge Dakota would accumulate around 2500 ml a year. It would hardly ever get dirty LOL

When I was home, if I needed to go somewhere and if I could do it in my Peterbilt I would.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:10 AM

Well, I put more miles than that on my pov's, but that's because I was an o/o, so cruising around in my big truck would've been costing me more money. Many, many years ago, when I was still driving someone else's truck, I used to do that though.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:45 AM

Welcome to the site.hope you are enjoying your stay here.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Former Sponsor
Default Welcome Old Grouch

My father in law was a trucker for 42 years - did long haul for most and regional for the last few. We bought him a shirt in Disney that said "Brilliant by birth, Grumpy by choice." It was so funny watching him wear that shirt.

Anyway - welcome to the forum.

Bryant
HOME

Old 08-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by Old Grouch
The low mileages are a result of owning my own semi for 22 years, the last 16 of which it was parked right here in my yard when I was home. Hence, no commuting to & from work. Does wonders on keeping the mileages down.

Pretty excellent - can you tell us the craziest story you got from the road?
I'm a part time writer and really enjoy hearing these slices of Americana, fact is often much stranger than fiction!

Old 08-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by DocBrown
Pretty excellent - can you tell us the craziest story you got from the road?
I'm a part time writer and really enjoy hearing these slices of Americana, fact is often much stranger than fiction!
As soon as I read your question, one incident popped into my mind. A long time ago (probably around '81 or '82, I was driving on the southern portion of the Garden State Parkway in N.J. (big trucks are allowed on it down there). The company truck I was driving was governed at 65 m.p.h., and that's what I was doing in the left lane (yeah, I know, speed limit 55 and all that) and there was a Dodge K car running just ahead of me. Suddenly a white Caddy came sailing past in the right lane, and after passing my truck and without even looking (apparently) ,he moved into the left lane and forced the K car off the road into the median, narrowly missing the divider wall. Fortunately for the K car, this section of median was paved, so there was nothing else for him to hit. I was, of course, slowing down so as not to get in the middle of whatever would happen next. That's when I saw the black smoke roll out of the K cars exhaust as he floored it and came blasting (as much as he could with a slant 6) back onto the road. And that's when it got interesting. I didn't know just what was about to happen next, but I knew something was. He took off down the road after the Caddy, and when he caught up to it, he moved to the right lane, started past the Caddy on the right, and when he got 3/4's of the way past the Caddy he just hung the wheel over and put his left rear fender into the right front fender of the Caddy and sent him pinwheeling into the median as I passed by. The guy in the K car was stopping on the right shoulder as I passed him, and I could see his wife in there waving her hands around as she was giving him hell. It was all I could do to keep my truck on the road, I was laughing so hard. That's when I noticed that a bus had cruised up on my right and the driver had a totally bewildered look on his face as he was looking at me laughing hysterically at what had just happened. Needless to say, I didn't stop as I didn't need to be dragged into the middle of that circus. Cops back then seemed to have the mindset that if there was a big truck anywhere in the vicinity, he must have been involved, so I just skeedaddled, 'cause I'm not as dumb as I am.

Last edited by Old Grouch; 08-03-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Old new guy here