New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

What would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Default What would you buy?

Here is my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9L...

Engine: AEM Brute Force air intake, Holley 52mm Throttle Body, M1 Intake (extrude honed), Edelbrock Aluminum Heads, 1.6 Roller Rockers, Magnum lifters, NASCAR COMP Hardened Pushrods, ARP studs, KRC 210x cam, Double roller timing chain, Thorley Ceramic Coated Headers, Kolak 3” Exhaust with large case Magnaflow muffler, Custom ECU flash from Tom at Positive Performance, Kolak Ignition Upgrade, New Water Pump, Both Oxygen Sensors replaced, E-Fan

Suspension: New UpCountry Springs, Addco military (frontsway), JKS Quick Sway disconnects, Hellwig (rearsway), Edelbrock IAS shocks.

Transmission:
Custom Built from the FastMan

I am now looking to buy a pick-up truck. Just want one. I need a decent daily driver that gets more than 10 MPG. Looking to spend no more than $6000. Looking for something in the size of a Ford Ranger or Chevy S-10.

What would you buy and why?

Old 04-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Have you considered a full size truck? The gas mileage on an S-10 with a 4.3 vs. a full size truck with a small V-8 is just about identical. The benefit to a full size truck is that they just plain hold up better. They are made to work harder than the average person works them. On the other hand the small trucks are basically a car with a big trunk that really can't haul much. If you think about all the trucks on the market - how many 15 year old plus S-10's vs. Silverado trucks do you see still on the road. There is a reason for that. Many people get fooled into thinking a small truck is going to get a lot better gas mileage when in actuality it might get 2 miles per gallon more, but have half the capabilities. I know this wasn't an option, but for around $6000 you should be able to get a newer body (late 1999 - 2002) silverado with a 4.8 or 5.3 that will last well into the 200,000 mile range. Just my .02.

BTW do you have any pics of that Jeep...that thing sounds incredible!

Last edited by Mr_Shamrock; 04-02-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
Have you considered a full size truck? The gas mileage on an S-10 with a 4.3 vs. a full size truck with a small V-8 is just about identical. The benefit to a full size truck is that they just plain hold up better. They are made to work harder than the average person works them. On the other hand the small trucks are basically a car with a big trunk that really can't haul much. If you think about all the trucks on the market - how many 15 year old plus S-10's vs. Silverado trucks do you see still on the road. There is a reason for that. Many people get fooled into thinking a small truck is going to get a lot better gas mileage when in actuality it might get 2 miles per gallon more, but have half the capabilities. I know this wasn't an option, but for around $6000 you should be able to get a newer body (late 1999 - 2002) silverado with a 4.8 or 5.3 that will last well into the 200,000 mile range. Just my .02.

BTW do you have any pics of that Jeep...that thing sounds incredible!
Gas mileage is a reason why I want something else, but not the deciding factor in which one. I just might open up my options to a full size.

I just liked the size of the S-10s and Ford Rangers.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:33 PM

If a fullsize truck was out of the question and gas mileage was a factor I would go with a Toyota Tacoma with a 4 Cylinder. That's my personal favorite smaller truck. Between the Ranger and the S-10 to me it's a toss up.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
If a fullsize truck was out of the question and gas mileage was a factor I would go with a Toyota Tacoma with a 4 Cylinder. That's my personal favorite smaller truck. Between the Ranger and the S-10 to me it's a toss up.
I had a CarDomain for it, but never updated it and they classified it under a Wagoneer for some reason.

I am going to have to start looking at fullsize trucks too. I have thought about Tacoma's. They are the only foreign vehicle I would buy. But they hold their value too well. I think that dealership sells repo'd cars or something.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:36 PM

LOL, you are right about the MPG too. 2002 Ranger V6 gets 14/18. 2002 Ford F-150 V8 gets 14/18.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:59 PM

It's crazy isn't it??? When I had my pest control business I thought I was doing something good by buying a 4 cyl. S-10. That thing wasn't good on gas and had ZERO power. So I bought a Toyota V-6 4X4 - again horrible gas mileage with a little more power than the S-10. I then bought a 2500 Chevy with a 5.7 and was happy. About the same mileage and when I needed to tote the yard sprayer with a 100 gallon tank it did it with ease. You don't want to know the adventures I had trying to pull that with the other 2 trucks - SCARY!!!!!
What puzzles me is honda and toyota can build little 4 cyl. cars that flat out haul ***, but yet you get in a 4 cyl truck and they are SLOW! Most people say well the trucks have more torque for hauling and therefore sacrifice HP - I can't tell they can't pull a damn thing!

Old 04-06-2010, 11:43 PM

2 of our delivery trucks at work are an 07 and 08 taco 4cyl and we only manage about 19-21 in town. my 03 chevy 1/2 4x4 5.3 is doin around 16 in town. and our delivery trucks are absolute dogs, no power for anything. figured id try and help ya out and give ya some information on the toyota 4cyls with what sorta power and mileage. hope ya get it figured out.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Ford and Dodge Truck Forum Moderator

Post up some pics of that jeep when you get a chance. I would love to see it.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:27 AM

Yeah, I am looking at F-150's now. Well, looking at a lot of things, but got my eye on a few F-150s. I just can't believe the whole gas mileage thing. I figured the 6CYL and 4CYLs would be significantly better on gas. Not even noticeable on some.

Here is a link to my old CarDomain page that I made when I first got the Jeep and then never updated it. The Jeep sounds amazing. I have never owned a vehicle that got so much attention.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2669246/3

I really need to get pics of stuff with the transmission out.

Quick Reply: What would you buy?