Off Road You go muddin' lately? Share your story. Is that ride of yours a rock climber? Show us in here.

How much to lift the truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Default How much to lift the truck?

(When I get a truck) How much should I lift it? Should I do a body lift or suspension lift, and why?

My main candidates are:
-Chevy s-10
-Toyota Tacoma
-Ford Ranger
-Chevy Silverado 1500

if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
-Lighnting

Old 08-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Default RE: How much to lift the truck?

OK, first off.... How much to lift a truck can really vary from person to person....

You have to ask yourself how much are you willing to spend?
what do you intend to use the truck for?? Are you taking it out on the trails or just mall crawlin?
How big of tires are you trying to put on said truck?? How much work do you want to do, some tires need an axel regaer or you'll just be busting them from the work of spinnin the tires....

If you want a pretty truck for people to look at I suggest somewhere around 3" inches and suspension is the way to go!

Old 08-19-2007, 07:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Alley

OK, first off.... How much to lift a truck can really vary from person to person....

You have to ask yourself how much are you willing to spend?
what do you intend to use the truck for?? Are you taking it out on the trails or just mall crawlin?
How big of tires are you trying to put on said truck?? How much work do you want to do, some tires need an axel regaer or you'll just be busting them from the work of spinnin the tires....

If you want a pretty truck for people to look at I suggest somewhere around 3" inches and suspension is the way to go!
Eh, not willing to spend all that much. I'll say like 3k tops.

Tire size I'd say would be like between 35" and 38". (Is that too big? lol) I don't wanna do TOO much work.

I am going for something that looks pretty badass, and can also do some "novice" off-roading.

Thanks.
-Lightning

Old 08-19-2007, 07:42 PM

Everyone starts out offroading as a "novice" but, if you do it... it becomes an addiction! Depending on the truck you'll need around a 5" to 6" lift to run 35" in tires or bigger and on smaller trucks like an S10 you'll probably need to regear the axels ( I'm more accustomed and knowledgable to Jeep axels)

a nice setup for a novice is a 3" suspension lift with 33" tires most trucks can accomadate that pretty easily without much modifications... maybe a little inner fender trimming... a good set of mud terrians will get you through anything

Old 08-19-2007, 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Alley

Everyone starts out offroading as a "novice" but, if you do it... it becomes an addiction! Depending on the truck you'll need around a 5" to 6" lift to run 35" in tires or bigger and on smaller trucks like an S10 you'll probably need to regear the axels ( I'm more accustomed and knowledgable to Jeep axels)

a nice setup for a novice is a 3" suspension lift with 33" tires most trucks can accomadate that pretty easily without much modifications... maybe a little inner fender trimming... a good set of mud terrians will get you through anything
Thanks for the help, man. It's much appreciated.

How much money would that run me ya think?

-Lightning

Old 08-19-2007, 09:29 PM

I'd say the lift will cost you about 1300 - 1500.00 if you can do it yourself....

Tires will run you about the same, I"ve had a lot of wheelin experience with different tires it depends on how much you wanna get into witht he tires I reccomend BFG MT's but, they can be known to have thin sidwalls if you get into a lot of rock climbing ...

I have some favorite websites I order all my stuff from but, I dont know if you have to be an accepted vendor here to post a link to a website...

out of your list though I reccomend the toyota taco they can be pretty sweet trucks!

this is a friend of mine he wheels alot (we all do)

Old 08-19-2007, 10:06 PM

lol and if you can't do it yourself? I could probably handle the body lift, but not the suspension lift. my guess is I will be in the sand/ mud more than rocks.

*EDIT*- Also, would it be better to get manual or auto? (regardless of the truck I get)

-Lightning

Old 08-20-2007, 09:35 AM

well see for those who can't do it themselves, we have what we call a MOD day and you get all your friends to come over and help and supply them beer and pizza..... a lot cheaper than labor.

Everything I drive is manual, I prefer the shifting. But, I have to admit I've never wheeled in sand thats a whole new ball game.