Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Income tax! (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/off-topic-5/income-tax-6797/)

72charger 04-03-2008 03:22 PM

Income tax!

Just got my income tax check today! Woohoo!!! I'm gonna be spending pretty much all of it on getting my Supra running. Hopefully that will come along real smoothly here shortly.

72charger 04-05-2008 11:49 PM

RE: Income tax!

Well I didn't realize how many people didn't care....;)

rxsteven 04-06-2008 07:48 AM

I care buddy it just didnt lite up untill today for some reason. What are you going to have to do to it?

72charger 04-06-2008 08:17 AM

LOL! I was just messin with ya'll. I know hardly anyone reads the Off Topic section anymore.

Basically it has a blown head gasket so I'm in the middle of tearing the head off. Should have that knocked out sometime Tuesday or Wednesday I think, depending on whether or not it quits raining. Once I get it off, it's off to the machine shop to get cleaned, checked for cracks, resurfaced, and whatever else it is they do. I also gotta buy a Head Gasket set, ARP head bolts, and possibly a Cometic metal head gasket(they were highly recommended by a well versed friend). Hopefully as long as the machine shop doesn't take too long, I can have this done by the end of the month-ish.

rxsteven 04-06-2008 10:05 AM

The machine shop should be pretty quick about it unless they are backed up. Them APR head bolts are pretty costly but worth it in the long run. Glad to hear that your going to get it running again. It should be better on gas. My RX7 isn't much better than my truck surprisingly. Is your Supra N/A? What part of FL are you from?

72charger 04-06-2008 01:41 PM

Yeah it's naturally aspirated. I had wanted toswap a turbo motorinto it but that's too much moola for me. It'll befast enough for me once I get it running anyway. I worked with a guy a few years ago who had an N/A Supra and it would run 9's in the 1/8 mile.

I was planning on ripping the head off today after church but the weather is crummy.[:@]

And I thought we talked about this already? I live 2 hours east of Mobile. Crestview(aka Crestucky), population 21,000+ and the only place to hang out is Wal-Mart, LOL!

rxsteven 04-06-2008 02:11 PM

I wasn't sure were I remember you saying you lived a couple hours away but I didn't know wereor I couldn't remember. My N/A RX7 runs a consistent 10.41 in the 1/8th. I would almost hit third but id take it 9000. and that was with really bad tires. I would get it sideways a little hitting second. I miss that little car I cant wait to get home. It isn't very fast but its very fun to drive. Ill post some more pics hold on

rxsteven 04-06-2008 02:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 3247

Attachment 3248

Attachment 3249

Attachment 3250

Attachment 3251

rxsteven 04-06-2008 02:25 PM

I didnt put to much into it because im going to do the swap!!! I did make a strut tower for it also but them pics are on my other laptop.

72charger 04-06-2008 09:13 PM

Dang man, the interior shots look clean. I like your mods too. You got good taste man. The MAF on your intake looks VERY similar to my Supras MAF as well... strange. I've always wanted one of those but I never see them for sell when I'm looking to buy.

What are you talking about swapping into it?

rxsteven 04-06-2008 10:52 PM

ThanksI put them 10s in there and I keep blowing either my amp or a channel in the head unit. I guess I should leave some things to the people that know what there doing. Im going to do an LS1 swap. Its pretty easy to do they even have kits. I cant wait to do it. It doesn't change the 50/50 weight distribution much because the LS1 block is pretty light (aluminum). Those heads made all the difference in the world. The stock ones were the worse design ive ever seen.

I didnt mean to hijack your thread I just got to remembering and missed her.

72charger 04-06-2008 11:45 PM

Dude it's all good. I don't think anyone else even knows about this thread. I like talking about other people's cars too anyway.

Bout that system, I don't know much about them but a friend of mine knows LOTS. One thing he has always told me is you have to keep the amp pretty well even with the sub/s. Example: If you have a 500watt sub, you need to be using a 500watt amp or close to it by 100watts or so. Anything more or less than that and you risk messing one of the two of them up. I think if your running two subs the amp splits the power between them. So if your running2 500watt subs, you'd need a 1000watt amp. The multi-sub system theory I just blurbed out is a little fuzzy though cause I haven't talked to him about it in a while.

rxsteven 04-07-2008 12:07 AM

Yeah I got 500 watt subs and first I had a 600 watt amp blew it or it burnt out. Then the guy that was cutting my lawn told me I needed a 1000watts and told me how to wire the speakers right (there wrong in the pic) so I went with 2 500's and then I blew a channel in the head unit. I might just take it in but thats a long ways away. I plan on getting my LS1 on my way home. A friend has one for me in Tennessee. But I still need a trans and a rear axle. They say the t2's rear axle will hold but the n/a is sh*t.

72charger 04-07-2008 12:13 AM

Dude, your only 2 hours away from me. When you get the ball rolling on that I'd like to come see that in progress!

rxsteven 04-07-2008 12:22 AM

I got to get out off Indiana first. I hate it up here!!!! I know when I get down there my truck is going to turn to rust once it gets in that salty air. I not looking forward to that. But when I do we'll hang out do some racing you can take the Saturn out.

72charger 04-07-2008 12:38 AM

LOL, sweetness.:D

rxsteven 04-07-2008 08:44 PM

keep US updated!!!!!!

72charger 04-07-2008 09:00 PM

Well first update....

I called the machine shop so many people have been recommending to me and was quoted about $450 for all the work on my head. Could be more or less depending on the situation they find. It sucks though cause I sat down at work today and tallied up most of the basic things I'd need and also added in the cost of the head. I got to $750(my budget) MUCH quicker than I thought I would. I covered most of the basics but the price I came to did not include vacuum lines, radiator hoses, a couple changes of engine oil, coolant, a water pump, head bolts, a new crankshaft bolt(if I replace it), and a few other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. That brings my total to something like $850-$900 I'm sure.

So, I guess it'll be done sometime next month.:(

rxsteven 04-07-2008 09:10 PM

That sucks! Cant you throw some of that out on accident at work??LOL

I dont know what happen to it someone must have stole it LOL Just kinding [sm=badbadbad.gif]

72charger 04-07-2008 09:22 PM

As funny as that is, I would prefer to keep my job. Actually I just got keys to the store(for all intents and purposes a shift manager now). Only been there about 5 months and progressing nicely already. Hopefully, I can move right along the totem pole pretty quick like and start reeling in that moola.

rxsteven 04-07-2008 09:24 PM

Hell yeah congrats!!!!

72charger 04-08-2008 10:12 PM

Day off tomorrow. Getting up at 7:30 to finish what I gotta do to get the head off. It WILL be off tomorrow fo sho! If I gotta wear a rain coat and have my sister stand over me with an umbrella, it's gonna happen.[8D]

rxsteven 04-08-2008 10:59 PM

That cool man GOOD LUCK!!!!!

hunt4game29 04-08-2008 11:18 PM

Income tax whats that i had to pay $250 to my state. And i am not getting a hole lot back from the feds.

72charger 04-08-2008 11:30 PM

That sucks... move to Florida!:D

72charger 04-09-2008 09:48 PM

Rounded out a head bolt......:( Hoping J-B Weld will make the tool work to get it out.

rxsteven 04-09-2008 10:36 PM

Or you can beat a size smaller on to it like if its a 13 use the size that would match it in sae i think its 7/16s I might be wrong due to to many drinks the laser gays took a few of us out to dinner and drinks. HA HA 7 of us ran up a $900bill!!!!!!

72charger 04-09-2008 11:23 PM

Actually. The head bolts take a 10mm hex bit or allan bit, whichever you prefer to call it. I tried the knock off JB weld crap and it didn't work at all. Just cracked out like nothing. I'm gonna try some epoxy next and if that doesn't work I'm gonna try to beat a oversized Torx bit into the hole and see if that will work.

rxsteven 04-10-2008 11:01 PM

Did you get it. That sucks bad you might have to drill it out. Is the bolt a hex head or is it just a bolt with the hex inside (headless)

72charger 04-11-2008 12:05 AM

It's a regular style head bolt only instead of being a hexagon on the outside, it has a hexagon indention in the head to stick a 10mm(allan) bit in it. And no I didn't get it yet. I'm probably gonna have to yank the intake camshaft out of it and that's something I've never messed with before so I'll have to look into it a bit more and see what to do and what all options I have.

It's looking more and more like a carb'd 350 is the way to go. If only I had the financial ability and know how.:(

rxsteven 04-11-2008 12:39 AM

Well im sure if you do go with the 350 you could part out your Supra motor to help with funds for the build. You should be able to find some help on some forums. I know for the RX7 there is a crap load of wright ups on ls! swaps. But then you'll be in the same place as far as mpg with your truck. Dont give up bud I think you'll get it. If you can get a hold of a welder tack a nut on it. Thats if you can get to it easy enough.

72charger 04-11-2008 01:25 AM

You know I seriously thought of that earlier today but I thought "no... that's probably a dumb idea", LOL! I have a friend who just bought a MIG welder. Might have to have him help me out with it if nothing else works. I've got about 2-3 tricks up my sleeve I still wanna try first. I'm dang sure not taking a dremel to it. Be my luck I'd trash the mating surface and then when it's all back together again, the new head gasket would leak!!!

rxsteven 04-13-2008 08:03 PM

Any news on that bolt yet?

MajorSilva 04-14-2008 02:25 AM

Between the two of you, this thread really didn't go anywhere did it?

Oh man, I feel your pain with the rounded out head bolts. My Integra's build was delayed almost a month due to my engine builder being a dumbass and torquing them down at something like 29,384,673,295 ft lbs.

I just thank the good Lord that I haven't had to pull Major's engine out/apart. Knock on wood.

By the way, I'm no stranger to Mobile AL. I went to basic flight training school at NAS Pensacola. The IP's were always taking us out over Mobile Bay, and one time we had to make an emergency landing in some farmer's pecan grove. He was pissed.

W00t. Small world.

72charger 04-15-2008 10:33 PM

Yeah, it is a small world man. I was just in Pensacola today doing some training for my job.;)

Still haven't endeavored to make any progress with this problem. I'm off on Wednesdays so I'll be taking another whack at it tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.... hopefully good.

72charger 04-16-2008 03:33 PM

RE: Income tax! WooHoo!

YEAH! The Lord blessed me and I got the stupid bolt out and all the others came out smoothly. And as such, I have successfully completed my first head removal! I was so stoaked whenmy hex bit caught traction inside the head bolt and the bolt started turning. Now I can't wait for the machine shop to call me and say it's done. I just hope they don't find any problems with it. The head gasket was now blown and actually it has been recently replaced so I don't know why it was consuming coolant... but it definately was. No mistake about it. Even the machinist said he could see where it had been burning it in the combustion chamber. Hopefully it isn't cracked or anything.

I'll keep ya'll posted!

rxsteven 04-16-2008 05:44 PM

Good!!!!!! I new you would get it

rxsteven 04-21-2008 10:57 PM

Whens that head going to be done??

72charger 04-22-2008 08:40 AM

I was just wondering that myself. They told me it would be done in a few days and that they would call me. But that was last Wednesday. Ofcourse if they get any commercial work they put walk in customers on the backburner so it's also possible that happened too. I'm gonna go up there this morning and see what the deal is.

Update: I went to the machine shop and they said they just got it tore down and it'll probably be something like late today or tomorrow before they know something. I take by "know something" that they haven't even pressure tested it yet so they don't even know whether or not it's cracked yet. Oh well, no rush.

rxsteven 04-22-2008 06:42 PM

Thats cool I got my fingers crossed for you!!