Off Topic A place for you truck junkies to boldly post off topic.

To keep it or not to keep it....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:41 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default To keep it or not to keep it....

Okay so as much as I love my Supra, it's becoming more and more apparant to me that these cars are riddled with problems that I'm not interested in fixing. They are notorious for blown head gaskets and shortly there after rod knock. I'm fixing the blown head gasket problem but I am not in the least bit interested in tearing the whole motor out and rebuilding the bottom end when it starts knocking(which it will because the head gasket has been blown for God knows how long). So I'm thinking after I get the head back on and get her running good, I'm gonna get it painted and sell it for however much I can get out of it. I'm thinking I should be able to get atleast $2,000 but probably more after it's painted. It's only got 150,000ish and the top end is about to be all new.

Which brings me to my next point, I'm thinking about selling it BEFORE the rod knocking starts and using the money from that to buy another old hot rod. I have recently become quite interested in Model A Fords. I think if I could find one in decent shape that would be awesome. I have a couple friends who could help me with it. I have also considered just buying something already built that's easy to work on so I can just sit back and enjoy a car for a change. Like a Monte Carlo, Camaro, Mustang, etc... just some old pony car. I'm not sure what I wanna do yet but any feedback is appreciated!

Old 04-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Default RE: To keep it or not to keep it....

If you can get it painted cheap, do it otherwsie just sell it for what you can. Like if the car is worth $1000 and you can get it done for $500 and sell if for $2000, go for it. Otherwise settle for the $1000. Try and do the head gasket yourself too.

Honestly, I would fix the gasket and sell it outright. People will pay more then what you think for a recently fixed Toyota gas miser. I bet you can get $2000 or close to it before you paint it.

I would buy a chevelle, preferably a 69 SS but I would go 70 or 71 also.

Someday I want to do a 33-34 Ford 3-Window Coupe Kit, put a chevy small block in it and paint it blue.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:16 PM
TruckForum Addict

Yeah well I've pretty much already decided I won't take less then $2,000 for it. With my previous cars I've aloud my impatiance to get the best of me. Not with this puppy. I just got of the phone with a buddy who has been practicing the arts of paint and body. He said we could paint it Hot Rod flat black for under $100 and he'd help me do all the prep work too. I've been wanting to paint her flat black so I think that's the plan. Probably will wait till I get that Tax Rebate from the government next month to worry about that. I think with a fresh coat of paint, and a fresh motor, it'll go for something like $2,500... maybe a little less. Would be worth it though I think.

I was thinking last night again about what kinda of vehicle I'd like to get. I think I'm gonna scratch the Model A theory. I only make like $8.50 an hour after comission so that would be something that would get parked in the backyard, never to be touched again. If I can find a steal 60's-70's muscle car I "might" get one, but I am pondering getting out of the whole project car thing for now until I find a better income or move up at work. Just doesn't make good financial sense to buy something I can't afford to work on I guess.

On the other hand, $2,000 would furbish some nice modifications to the truck. Hmm.... Custom tune, rims/tires, possibly a roll pan.... now we're talking!

Old 04-23-2008, 12:22 PM

Thats what I was going to say! Put it in the truck!!!

If not sit on the money or try and make it work for you and make that 2000 into more. And just wait till you come across a really good deal.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:33 PM
TruckForum Addict

Well yeah, there's always that.... ofcourse the likelihood of me being able to just hold onto that much money with so many things I want is about the same as a meteorite hitting me in the head.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:39 PM

I hear that man im the same way!

Old 04-23-2008, 05:45 PM
TruckForum Addict

Got the head back! $423 later! I snapped a bunch of pics of it with the valve covers resting on it. Gotta wait for my sister to upload them for me. Looks sick though. All shiny silver with glossy gold valve covers. I'll keep ya'll posted on my progress.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:05 PM

Hope you got some without the covers!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:31 PM

i think you should keep it.
but if youre gonna let go of it make sure youll get something better.
trade it if you want.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:15 AM
TruckForum Addict

Well actually I've since changed my mind all together. I am still selling the car but I've decided to get something that get's much better fuel economy. I am pretty much straddleing the fence right now between getting a bike and a VW Beetle. I here the old beetles used to get like 40-45mpg so that would be awesome. But any Beetle I get is gonna take a lot of work to get it back into good running order and I'm also told these things aren't cheap to fix up. So we'll see. If I get a bike I'll have enough money to get one I can just leave alone so it would be cheaper to get a bike but then there's the whole safety factor too. I'll keep ya'll updated though.

I just bought the head bolts for the thing yesterday which had to be ordered so I'm picking those up tomorrow and hopefully next wednesday I can start putting it all back together. Gonna try to stay as cheap with this as possible so that I can save some of the money for whatever I buy afterwords. Wish me luck.

Quick Reply: To keep it or not to keep it....