Trailering question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Default Trailering question

I have a 02 Silverado reg cab shrot bed and 2wd. Can I pull a 2000 pound trailer and a 3500lb car with it for about 800 miles? The truck is equipped with the trailer package, 5.3 and a 3.73 axel. I'm told it will be too much for the truck and could toast the tranny and could be a dangerous situation. I don't think the trailer has electric brakes.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I think you will be fine assuming your truck is up to par. I towed a 454SS truck from N.C to South Florida w/ my old 5.3 equipped silverado and did great. Just use common sense - leave more room to stop and when pulling out. Watch your temps - the 4L60's don't like to get hot. Does your truck have the factory trans cooler? That is the #1 thing to do when towing with one. Even if your truck has one a larger one makes them happier.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:05 PM

Yes it has a trans cooler. I was told the concern would be because the trailer and car would be heavier than the truck itself. What do you think about that?

Old 06-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

That really isn't the ratio to look at - My dually is rated to tow over 10,000 pounds and I am sure it weighs quite a bit less than that. I think your truck is rated around 7000 pounds (don't quote me but I think it is right around there). Make sure the tongue weight isn't too much by either scooting the vehicle on the trailer back as far as possible or if that is still too much back it on the trailer. That will make a big difference in the feel of the load. Also the fact that your truck is a short bed regular cab makes it the non ideal tow vehicle - the longer the wheelbase the better (within reason).
Not that I recommend it, but I was in a bind one time and had to move a crown victoria on a car trailer with a 1995 Chevy 1500 regular cab short bed with a 4.3 in it. It was about a 700 mile trip. Believe it or not the issue wasn't really the power, although I was using every pony the V-6 had, it was the braking. I had some jerk jump in front of me and jam his brakes and I experienced a bad case of brake fade (very scary) luckily there wasn't anyone next to me and I was able to get over. If not I would have hit him for sure! For the record this trip was in Florida = flat terrain. I would have been hurting if it was in a northern state.

Just take your time and go slow that transmission won't last long if your trying to go 80 the whole way.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Hell I wouldn't worry about that at all. We towed a 12,000lb bumper pull loaded horse trailer for awhile with a 2003 GMC 1500 Z71. Sure it was a struggle but trailer brakes were the only addition made. Never hurt the truck a bit

Old 06-28-2011, 05:47 AM

I did look in the mannual and my truck is rated for 8500 lbs since it has the 3.73 axle. Thank you Mr_Shamrock maybe I'll go ahead just nervous. Would you do it it it were you??

Old 07-01-2011, 08:33 AM

I have a 2002 1500 silverado with 3.73s. You will have no trouble pulling tha much if you use common sense it's the braking you have to be gentle with if the trailer dosn't have brakes you can burn up the ones on the truck