Ultimate Free Horsepower Mod List

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Default RE: Ultimate Free Horsepower Mod List

ORIGINAL: popo

these are all good mods but sadly we can only perform some of them on our 6'ers. you can do the redneck ram air, the descreen, the throttle body spacer, the port and polish of the throttle body and some others, just search the forum and you'll find stuff for the v6's
Thanks for the input.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: SouthBayZ71

Dumb question here ....how would I find a shop to port the tb?
search the forum for the TB port and polish diy post. I posted on for the 4.3 but it is identical to the 5.3. The big difference is that on the 4.3, there is a metal deflecter on the bottom side of the throttle blade that blocks half the air from coming in. there is a DIY step by step for both engines in here though. one from me and one from MRlm7

Old 10-23-2007, 04:11 PM

Bump

Old 10-23-2007, 07:32 PM

I'm just a dumb cracker.....what is "bump"?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:23 PM

he moved to the front of the forum

Old 10-24-2007, 06:48 AM

question about the descreen MAF. removing the screen won't mess up the readings the sensor will pick up? if not, WTF didGM put that there, what purpose does it serve? good thing i saw this thread, i was about to spend 370 on a granatelli MAF. thanks mrlm7.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:05 AM

Did anyone read the post I put up about the programmer? Hypertech basically told me that too much air to the engine results in the need for more octane after a certain point. This is something that can be comped by a custome tune but in most cases not a programmer. Read this,

This it what they told me........(they gave me a dyno sheet and I can post it if you guys want).

Our tuning like most all the other mfg's products are designed around a stock vehicle. Diablo or any other mfg will not get more power than Hypertech regardless of what one reads on some Forum. Our tuning is designed around a stock vehicle, there is no problem with a cat back exhaust and/or a replacement high flow air filter. Other mods like air intakes, after market mass air flow sensors, headers, high flow cats, larger throttle body, spacersetc should not be used with our tuning. When doing so the engine will be apt to ping/detonate and/or no power gain. The attached dyno chart shows the power gainfor both our 87 or 91 octane settings. As alwaysour test vehicle was completely stock. Thanks Jim

So basically, if your doing these mods you would have to get a custom tune to get the real power from them. What BS!

Old 11-05-2007, 12:14 AM
TruckForum Addict

I guess the proof is in the pudding....

Old 11-05-2007, 07:13 AM

AFAIK, the screen is to help purify the air flow, reducing it from a tumbling mess that comes out of the air filter and leveling it out to go across the MAF. Unfortunately, it also limits the amount of air that passes into the intake. If you are looking to increase the amount of air passing through your intake, removing the screen substantially increases overall throughput.

Granted, the screen is there to help the MAF take a 'true' reading of the incoming air, but removing it doesn't seem to have hurt my vehicle. The MAF would also help stop any large pieces of debris that might get past the airfilter (or lack thereof), so the debris doesn't damage the sensor. Removing the screen would negate this feature.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:46 AM

I could be completely full of crap but here's how I understand it. ( granted this is from my experience working on german cars, so take it for what it's worth )

A screen in the MAF doesn't help in purifying the air, but rather is there to aid in airflow streamlining. The MAF Sensor from the factory is calibrated to read a certain airflow with the screen intact, when it is removed you flow more air but the sensor can't read itaccurately resulting in the wrong signal being sent to the PCM, resulting in too little fuel based on ACTUAL airflow, thus you run lean resulting in detonation and pinging.Not sure the limits of the chevy PCM, but most can adjust within certain limits to reduce timing when it detects too much knock. Again, not sure if the chevy has knock sensors or where they are located. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Free Horsepower Mod List