Ultimate Free Horsepower Mod List

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Default free mods

To all,
'05 and newer trucks do not have the EGR protruding into the upper intake. I hope the person who thought of that was allowed to slap the original designer.

Those of you who do not remove your headlights when driving may benefit more from cutting one large hole in the bottom of the airbox, convieniently the wheel well forms an upside down cup that directs air to the bottom of the airbox. At the same time, is the destruction of an OEM piece worth the questionable gains?

Do you know where your knock sensor is? Under the upper intake plenum! Removing the foam does not affect its function....until you pack it full of water and dirt. Those of you who do not take you trucks off road will not have to worry as much.

Now the humiliating part. I have done everyone of these modifications and discovered the afformentioned issues with them.

I am new here and I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences?

Old 07-30-2007, 08:38 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: free mods

Well I so far the only 'free' mod I've tried has been the airbox mod and it gave me GREAT gains. However after freeing up the exhaust with a better flowing muffler, now my truck is a slow poke off the line. I think reflashing the ECU will solve my problems though. Just gotta save up about $300 and take a trip to Pensacola.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:23 PM
TruckForum Addict

2002's do not have EGR either...

Old 07-31-2007, 07:40 PM

ok cracker does that mean that puting holes (swiss cheesing it alond the sides didnt do anything for me. she is still a dog off the line but alot better wide open...bill

Old 07-31-2007, 07:41 PM

also what issues did you have from doing the mods

Old 07-31-2007, 08:05 PM
TruckForum Addict

ORIGINAL: Cracker

To all,
'05 and newer trucks do not have the EGR protruding into the upper intake. I hope the person who thought of that was allowed to slap the original designer.

Those of you who do not remove your headlights when driving may benefit more from cutting one large hole in the bottom of the airbox, convieniently the wheel well forms an upside down cup that directs air to the bottom of the airbox. At the same time, is the destruction of an OEM piece worth the questionable gains?

Do you know where your knock sensor is? Under the upper intake plenum! Removing the foam does not affect its function....until you pack it full of water and dirt. Those of you who do not take you trucks off road will not have to worry as much.

Now the humiliating part. I have done everyone of these modifications and discovered the afformentioned issues with them.

I am new here and I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences?
As far as the airbox mod, does anybody here really care about the OEM piece???

Questionable gains??? [sm=wtf.gif] Have you actually tried them???

Old 07-31-2007, 09:53 PM

I have and they work, if you came up with these mods yourself MrLm7 I am greatful! That guy seems a little pissed about something and I don't think it's the mod list!

Old 08-01-2007, 04:32 PM

well after i drilled holes into mine i noticed a big difference and that was with a usual filter. i need to put in a k&n drop in and see what happens. ...bill

Old 08-01-2007, 04:34 PM

also i need to take the screen out in the maf. im kinda afraid to do that. couse i hope i dont mess something up.. and what difference will i see from doing that...bill

Old 08-01-2007, 05:38 PM
TruckForum Addict

I too have been contemplating the MAF mod but I think I'll wait until I have a few hundred dollars on standby incase I mess it up. It would really stink if I accidentally damaged it. Especially since I'm paying $272 a month for it! LOL!

Quick Reply: Ultimate Free Horsepower Mod List