New to a 2004 Tacoma - boring questions clock, remote - Truck Forums

Toyota Tacoma Discuss the Toyota Tacoma here

Old 12-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Beginner

Default New to a 2004 Tacoma - boring questions clock, remote

I just bought a 2004 Tacoma Double Cab 2WD with 72K miles. Traded a 2000 Frontier Crew Cab with 138K miles. Such an improvement!! I also had a T100 for quite a few years before the Frontier.

A few quick questions:
No remote came with it, do all Tacomas have the capability built in for keyless remote?

Does the 2004 require any kind of smart key or chip key? I only have one simple metal key.

Mine doesn't have the clock next to the ignition switch, are they all wired for a clock? i.e. if i buy a clock , can I just put it in and connect it to an existing connector behind the dash?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Beginner

A couple more questions:

Were they all PreRunners?
How can I tell if it has keylessentry capability?
How can I tell if it has Traction Control?
Has anyone found a clock that can install into the blanking plate to the left of the center AC vents?

It has cruise control, but I believe that it's the port-installed one because it has the ugly wart controller pod sticking up out of the left side of the steering wheel shroud. Is that a reliable unit?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-12-2012, 04:25 PM

If your key is a factory key a dealer can probably tell you if the truck is capable of wireless entry or maybe thru the vin #. Traction controls are to the left of the steering wheel if you have them. Here is the factory service manual 2001-2004 Toyota Tacoma FSM
There is another site that has the operators manual if I can find it.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Beginner

Thanks! The dealer couldn't tell because the keyless system on my truck was port-of-entry installed...

Same as the funky cruise control.

However, I did a little research and found the mfr was Bulldog, called them, got a remote model number, and ordered one from ebay that worked out of the box!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:47 PM

The operators manual is here.

Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Service Manuals