Toyota Tacoma Discuss the Toyota Tacoma here

V6 or I4

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Default V6 or I4

I'm looking to buy a late 90s to early 00s Tacoma, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend the 4cyl or V6 over the other. I'm set on getting a 4x4, and while I would like to save gas, don't want to end up with an underpowered truck I can't use. I'm not planning on towing much, but moving furniture, construction stuff and driving to the beach, skiing, hiking, etc.

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by ncombs
I'm looking to buy a late 90s to early 00s Tacoma, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend the 4cyl or V6 over the other. I'm set on getting a 4x4, and while I would like to save gas, don't want to end up with an underpowered truck I can't use. I'm not planning on towing much, but moving furniture, construction stuff and driving to the beach, skiing, hiking, etc.

Thanks!
what's wrong with more power lol

Old 10-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

The 4 cylinder will get you better mileage for sure. I had an early 90's model 4x4 Toyota I-4 and it was a great truck. I got the itch for an extra cab so I traded for one with the V-6. It did have more power, but the gas mileage was bad (the same as my Chevrolet Tahoe 4X4). Personally I don't think the little extra power was worth how much the mileage changed. With the I-4 I used to pull a double jet ski trailer with 2 fullsize Sea Doo's on it and it did great. The lake we used to ride in didn't have a ramp we just kind of backed them in over the edge. There were many fullsize 2wd trucks that needed help getting there ski's out and that little 4 cylinder in 4LO pulled them out so easily and helped many of the fillsize trucks as well. I miss that little truck!

Also note they may be different now my regular cab was a 1991 and the extra cab was a 1994.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Beginner

read the stuff it is not clear to me can i have more stuff it is little bit confusing to me can you provide more stuff.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:39 AM
Banned

Can i get more detailed information about it?