Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Toyota Tacoma (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/toyota-tacoma-108/)
-   -   Why is there so much hate for the Toyota Tundra? (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/toyota-tacoma-108/why-there-so-much-hate-toyota-tundra-8100/)

Mack 09-29-2008 12:10 AM

Why is there so much hate for the Toyota Tundra?

I want to know why so many people hate it? Is it just because its a Toyota? We've had our long-term Tundra for around 8 months now and so far its been a great truck. Its delivered every thing it promised and then some. So why all the hate?

Argon 09-30-2008 06:27 AM

RE: Why is there so much hate for the Toyota Tundra?

because its from a company full of slants who bombed the **** out of us.

good enough?

Mack 10-01-2008 01:49 AM

No, i no can't say anything about your comment because i really using a Toyota tundra and i am satisfy its performance.

Argon 10-01-2008 06:34 AM

hey,you asked..lol

karl 10-05-2008 10:23 PM

I'm not a fan of Toyota thought i don't hate it.

Chevyalltheway 11-29-2008 09:09 PM

I like the truck, but hate the company.

I know its an old thread, but figured what the hell.

And not to take a page out of MajorSilva's book, but if you want to ask a serious question and have a good debate, type so someone can understand you. I mean really, I can't see who it is and if it wasn't for the fact that I know you have your drivers license I might think you are like five years old.

brazos 12-03-2008 02:32 PM

People are afraid of competition, so they attempt to disparage it with nonsensical comments like the one posted by "Argon" . If he is truly a GM TECH then he of all people should know that not all GM parts are made in the USA. The war was over 60+ yrs ago and the Tundra is made in the US of mostly US made parts.

I have owned chevy,dodge,gmc,ford and for the first time a "foreign" Toyota. Couldn't be moresatisfied. If GMis such a great company with great products, why are they asking the taxpayers to bail them out? Because their stuff doesn't sell!!

"argon" needs to join the 21st century and study history, it was the US OF A that put Japan back on their feet, they took our methods and improved on them, started with marginal vehicles and kept improving them over the years while Detroit sat on their fat wallets and let the world pass them by.

Argon 12-04-2008 03:28 AM

You pounded the erasers for the teacher,didn't ya?

Chevyalltheway 12-04-2008 05:15 PM

I guess. The Toyota's may be made in America, but I'm sure the profits go right back where the company originated.

GM is able to sell their stuff, notice how they are the number 1 automaker in the world?!?!?!?!?! It was poor decisions made many years ago that led to this present crisis. Trust me, if GM goes under, Toyota will follow.

brazos 12-05-2008 10:09 AM

To "Argon: I notice that you chose not to refute any of my points, but instead came back with an immature reply. Sure glad you don't work on any of my vehicles.

Also please note that GM and Toyota combine on some projects. The Pontiac Vibe is a Toyota body structure with a different front sheet metal. The old thinking of "them against us" is long past. It is a world economy whether we like it or not. I would rather have an entirely made in the US vehicle but the US has relegated much of its manufacturing capabilities to other (cheaper) countries.How many electronic mfgrs are still in business in the US? Are all the stereo and electronic components in GM vehicles made in the US? Don't think so ! IF you don't like things made in Japan,China or Korea, go home and throw out everything made there and I bet you won't be watching any TV or calling anyone on your phone ,cell or home.

Argon 12-05-2008 10:43 AM

you were in the marching band,right?

Chevyalltheway 12-05-2008 02:47 PM

Go buy the book THE COMING CHINA WARS by Peter Navarro. I have listened to a few conferences given by this man and read his book. It is a scary situation that most of us are ignoring. I cannot read two pages in this book without putting it down in anger and frustration. China, Japan, and Korea together have stashed away over 5 Trillion in US currency. If they were to release that money, our country would be crippled by inflation. They don't release the money because we know about it and therefore keep a open door policy on our imports and don't tax them while China, Japan, and Korea tax our exports through the nose therefore creating a huge Trade defecit. In my opinion, I don't hate Toyota, just the country they represent. I am well aware that Toyota and Honda make some of the best vehicles out there, but I live in America and more importantly in Michigan. The big three are my livelihood and are also for 10% of our population. I'd prefer to keep this a subdued debate about actual issues and such, or we might end up cracking jokes about our moms.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it

brazos 12-12-2008 08:17 PM

Excellent points, but the UAW is willing to bankrupt the big 3 instead of making any concessions. Hope they wake up soon and help their employer. The taxpayers cannot be expected to bail out every company that has made poor business decisions.
Should we have bailed out Wall Street ? Have my doubts , but now the precedent has been set.

Yes, GM does make good trucks but as in ALL the automotive companies their line-up is redundant. A GMCis a Chevy in disguise and the other lines arerepetitive. Toyota,Nissan and every companyproduce far too many models , they all need to trim their lines.

As for a discussion on the technical merits of Toyota, I have been completely satisfied with my Tundra and the quality and performance has been more than expected.

Chevyalltheway 12-12-2008 11:40 PM

The same model-different make thing has been driving me insane for so long and I am about sick of it. Here is my idea of restructuring GM:

GMC: Makes all heavy, medium, and light duty pickups, Suv's. Ie: Topkick, Sierra, Sierra HD, Yukon, Yukon XL. NO MORE DENALI OPTION
CHEVY: crossovers and cars. End of story. axe the 100yr old silverado.
SATURN: GONE!!
Pontiac: performance devision makes all GM performance cars except for the corvette because it actually makes money as is
Buick: keep it, just cut out the lucerne or lesabre cuz they are too similar
Cadillac: Keep it. The main reason I would cut out the denali option on GMC because for a few grand more you could just have an escalade

Trust me Brazos, I know that Toyota makes a great truck and they are a viable competitor, but I will always buy GM(assuming they are still around). I am also just floored that GM has the same vehicle with four different names on it and they wonder where they can cut spending.
GMC acadia
Chevy Traverse
Buick Enclave
Saturn Outlook
~all exactly the same.

I am also working with the congressman in the midwest to enact a law that the big 3 MUST spend their money in the US and am pleased to see that my exact questions in my letters have been read to the CEO's of these companies and hopefully I am making some progress.

brazos 12-13-2008 10:40 AM

Chevyalltheway: Thank you for a common-sense discussion. It is hard to tell how all of the automotive woes will shake out. Smaller (fewer lines) and more fuel efficient automotive companies are what is needed. American workers (including those who work for foreign name companies inside the US) make the best product. American ingenuity from Ford rescued Jaguar when they were making a totally unreliable car. The s and the auto companies need to agree to meet and come up with a solution that will continue to employ as many workers as possible and produce fuel efficient and reliable cars for the future

Chevyalltheway 12-13-2008 11:08 AM

In my eyes, the first thing that needs to happen is the s need to lay off. It is ridiculous and just plain stupid. Because of the ridiculously high wages American workers "must" be paid, the Big three are outsourcing their work to India, Japan, and China and getting an inferior product in return. I don't know how Toyota copes with the UAW, but I have to tell ya, My fathers tool and die shop which employs 200 workers is a completely non- shop and it is one of the few Tool and die shops in the country that is still turning a profit. We treat our employees fairly and they give us 110% of their effort in return. We have the shortest lead time in the country and have been nationally recognized for our strategy. Now we are developing an online teaching program for CNC machinists in training to use instead of jobshadowing for up to 5 years and losing that much in pay and productivity. When this program succeeds, the lives of all the parts suppliers in America will be made so much simpler because they won't be paying trainees to watch someone else do the work and will be able to get on the shop floor sooner

waitingtundra 01-24-2009 05:08 PM

I don't know, maybe the big 3 are upset cause they can hardly stay in business while recieving billions of dollars from the goverment. Maybe they are upset at a company that can build cars & trucks in this country that are more american than the cars and trucks that they build that are mostly mexican. Maybe they are so upside down on their vehicles cause they lose their value so quickly and break down so often they can't get away from them without taking a a$$ whipping. So they vent their anger at a company that could solve their problems. Lets see build a piece of junk no one wants, overprice it, then spread it among a bunch of divisions that aren't making any money. That ain't american that's stupidity. Oh yea lets get a bunch of working folks to bail out the idiots that came up with this scheme. My tundra made in texas is doing just fine. I know you crybaby bashers arn't trying to tell me that if I do have a problem that i would have had better luck if I'd have had a big3 vehicle. If so we need to change this from a truck forum to a comedy forum, which might not be a bad idea after some of the bs I have read on this forum.

1fast4x4 02-21-2009 04:03 AM

I probably should post the link to the thread on tundrasolutions, but a guy pulled 12,000lbs for 1200 miles with his tundra and got a average of 10 mpg's! Now how can you hate on that, and i'll guarantee you it moved it nearly as easy as a 1200 trailer behind a 5.3L GM truck with nearly the same mpg's lol!

brazos 02-27-2009 05:40 PM

Automotive news

Has anyone seen the news on how GM burned thru billions of our dollars and are still deep in the red? Just remember it is OUR MONEY .They simply make too many cars that people don't want.

But then all automakers and dealers are in trouble. The dealer I go to is down to 1 or 2 sales people and 1 or 2 service reps. Don't know how many people they let go out in the shop.

On a technical note, has anyone read anything on motor changes or accessory changes for the 2010 Tundra?

babalu87 03-21-2009 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Argon (Post 38209)
because its from a company full of slants who bombed the **** out of us.

good enough?

At least their not taking my fvcking money and investing it in production facilities in Brazil like GM is.

Pelicandivebomb 04-06-2009 09:18 AM

LOL you guys do have to admit that Argon has made some funny comments. I served my time and the past is history for me just so you guys don't think I hate people for things long ago. Back to the original point of why hate the tundra, I don't like it personally because it is way to heavy, mpgs suck, and I can't stand to work on Toyotas. Tundras look weird to me. They have power, but they had to go through so much just to get up to that amout of horsepower. I've outrun and out pulled every tundra I've come across so they have no respect or interest of mine whatsoever. Show me a real Tundra people, there must be a beast of one out there!

ufo 04-13-2009 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pelicandivebomb (Post 43317)
Back to the original point of why hate the tundra, I don't like it personally because it is way to heavy, mpgs suck, and I can't stand to work on Toyotas. Tundras look weird to me. They have power, but they had to go through so much just to get up to that amout of horsepower. I've outrun and out pulled every tundra I've come across so they have no respect or interest of mine whatsoever.

Humm, I'll bet you any money there is very little weight difference and I'll be more than willing to run you in my similarly modified Tundra (minus the "chip") , put yours back to stock and according to the magazines the Tundra will spank your truck while towing. Also why do you complain "they had to go thru so much to get that amount of HP" , how do you think GM's V8 get similar power? Enjoy your new GM dealer and your warranty..the US Goverment which is now run by "new" the white house.

Pelicandivebomb 04-14-2009 04:41 PM

First let me correct you respectably, Toyota is actually doing the worst of all the big companies. Second, the weight issue is a problem, Toyota in my mind should have kept the earlier body style and put the motor they have in it now. Third is that they come with headers already and it is a 32 valve motor. If Silverados had 32 valve heads to begin with then it would be no matter in talking about it. GM has 100 years of engineering, and my chip only added about 17 hp and about 15lbs of tq. Either way I still have more hp and WAY more tq. Hands down, I know my truck has beat fast cars and driving it WOT scares the heck out of me. I would like to see that race though. See how small your truck looks in the distance of my rear view mirror. Go ahead and put your money on it, I kinda need it right now.

EvansBlue 04-14-2009 07:42 PM

In my opinion Toyota ceased to be reliable when they got rid of the 22RE.

98white5.0 05-13-2009 01:10 AM

It's not about how much peak power you have, it's about where the power is made and where that torque curve is. That's why a 255 hp 98 z71 beat a 345hp 04 dodge last summer. I was in the passenger seat. I question the frame of the tundra. If you watch some of those ford videos where they put all the trucks against each other, you will see a lot of shortcuts that were made by toyota. And those shortcuts weren't the good kind. Those videos actually made me like chevy even more, even though they were ford videos.

brazos 05-17-2009 03:13 PM

Toyota stands alone

I guess by now people are beginning to realize that Toyota has better management ,even though they lost money last year.

Now we all know what GM stands for: G-----------gimme
M-----------more and more and more.

A company that could not do it on its' own, now under the control of the union and the govt. What a wonderful combination!

URBryant 07-30-2011 10:15 AM

Not sure Mack - I drive a Tundra and its been very good to me - I am looking at Ford and Chevy for my next truck.

Hope you have a great day!

Bryant
HOME

cubpak89 08-04-2011 09:00 PM

personally i dont like toyota but i did like the 22r motors they were strong
i dont like toyota frames they look weak and flexible to me that means rust wholes are prone to happen
i would have to agree with the statement about chevy beatin dodge the 5.7 lv8s have alot of power if there taken good care of
ive seen z71s and regular 4x4 package silverados pull way more wieght on trailors then they were sposed to and still not squat and they still run strong to this day
the only thing i will agree with about toyota is that they do have good managment and will actually work with you at dearlerships with warrenties
but there frames are weak parts are expensive and everything has to have special tools to fix or work on good ole chevys can have a back yard mech work on it with less tools then you would for a toyota
plus i never see tundras towing three t300 bobcat skidsteers behind them heck i never see anyone tow anything with them
most people drop 26 inch rims and make it look like crap

Cowboy546 08-05-2011 12:02 AM

well honestly my father bought a 2007 XSP and i think its a piece of crap and so does he. he bought it believing the hype but weve had nothing but problems since we got it home. yeah ill admit the motor is everything they said it was i hate o admit but my chevys 5.7 have nothing on the motor. but this truck gets stuck on wet grass. highway excelent truck. leave the black top. u have a beter chance of getting there walking. id never buy one and dad will have nothing but a chevy from now on.

kyled 08-25-2011 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by cubpak89 (Post 70285)
plus i never see tundras towing three t300 bobcat skidsteers behind them heck i never see anyone tow anything with them
most people drop 26 inch rims and make it look like crap

I tend to disagree. My brother's Tacoma gets the job done pretty well, and he's the kind of guy who's got every toy imaginable to tow (boat, skis, 4wheelers, etc.) The difference I think is the V6 tow package. But to each his own!

cubpak89 08-25-2011 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by kyled (Post 70915)
I tend to disagree. My brother's Tacoma gets the job done pretty well, and he's the kind of guy who's got every toy imaginable to tow (boat, skis, 4wheelers, etc.) The difference I think is the V6 tow package. But to each his own!

well again those things dont have alot of wieght that he hauls im jsut saying i would like to see soomebody actually do what the comercails say it can like haul over 10,000lbs up a step grade with fire all around it i doubt that that actaully happend even thow it said actual test

qwiktruck03 10-28-2011 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by cubpak89 (Post 70916)
well again those things dont have alot of wieght that he hauls im jsut saying i would like to see soomebody actually do what the comercails say it can like haul over 10,000lbs up a step grade with fire all around it i doubt that that actaully happend even thow it said actual test

Right on. I also don't think Chevys are actually made out of rocks like the song said in the commercial. It's a commercial.

So really, what's the hate for Tundras? I've run toyota engines into the 4-500k miles with no major problems in the past. Is it just their truck engines?

cubpak89 10-28-2011 09:01 PM

me i just dont like the way the frames are i was hauling scrap from a farm and there was a truck frame there and i asked the owner of the property whats this to he said a 2000 toyota it was rusted out and bent pretty bad i said did he get in a wreck nope the frame just bent but metal does bend in any brands defense but my point is all i ever see people do with toyotas is put huge rims on them and loud loud as hell sterios in them
the only ones i see lifted or hauling naything are the older one like the 80s thru late 90s and yes toyota 4 bangers are a beast off road ive seen alot of them go thru what most gm and other brands cant even make it in but i perfer made in america

qwiktruck03 11-07-2011 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by cubpak89 (Post 72563)
me i just dont like the way the frames are i was hauling scrap from a farm and there was a truck frame there and i asked the owner of the property whats this to he said a 2000 toyota it was rusted out and bent pretty bad i said did he get in a wreck nope the frame just bent but metal does bend in any brands defense but my point is all i ever see people do with toyotas is put huge rims on them and loud loud as hell sterios in them
the only ones i see lifted or hauling naything are the older one like the 80s thru late 90s and yes toyota 4 bangers are a beast off road ive seen alot of them go thru what most gm and other brands cant even make it in but i perfer made in america

Doesn't toyota actually make the Tundras in America? That was one of the things that made me like them

cubpak89 11-08-2011 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by qwiktruck03 (Post 72698)
Doesn't toyota actually make the Tundras in America? That was one of the things that made me like them

yes there made in america but there origins actually bagan in japan

MrT 01-31-2012 05:27 PM

I had the chance to buy an 08 Tundra but for me it's the looks and American heritage. I grew up on a farm that Detroit power built; we still run a '36 Chevy grain truck, and 60's model Ford, Chevy, and Dodge lift bed trucks. The '36 Chevy was bought by my Great-Grandpa, so it's a pride thing for me.

Ultimately I went with a '10 Silverado (ext cab, Z71 4x4, 5.3, 6 spd). Not that the Tundra's are a bad truck, its just the overall compromise. The Tundra really is built as a heavy half ton. I don't haul 12k lb trailers so I don't need the size of truck. I'm usually hauling, at most, 8k lbs so I prefer the lighter truck and better MPG's.

Also, I just don't like the looks. The hood is too short, the bed sides are too tall, and the interior just reminds me too much of a van. I don't know why but it does. Trust me, I really looked hard at it but just couldn't do it.

Oh, and my Silverado was built in Indiana...

rwthomas1 05-08-2012 09:28 PM

Old thread but I like having fun with these..... Toyota makes a decent product but they advertise CONSTANTLY in my area about how reliable their product is. My experience, wifes half of the family drives all Toyotas, and knowing other construction contractors with Tundras leads me to one conclusion: They are no more reliable than any other brand. They are not particularly easy to work on. When they do break, get your wallet out. My biz partners '02 Tundra engine decided to blow its head gasket at 130K. Couldn't get a decent used engine for less than $2500. GM 5.3's are EVERYWHERE at less than $1K. And they don't blow headgaskets..... Everytime that Tundra was in for service it was $700 minimum. Nothing was cheap. GM's may actually have a worse reliability rating but they are cheap and easy to fix on your own. RT

Breathing Borla 05-10-2012 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by cubpak89 (Post 72724)
yes there made in america but there origins actually bagan in japan

wrong, the new tundra was designed, engineered, and built here.:eek:

PickupTruck.Com - First Drive: 2007 Toyota Tundra

kyled 05-29-2012 03:02 PM

Toyota makes great vehicles, famous for their longevity and durability. Tundra is no exception. American Truck-makers definitely have a monopoly on the market, but Tundra 4X4 and Tacoma are great work trucks.

2008tt 05-30-2012 10:28 AM

I got my Tundra in 2008 with a Super Charger installed at the dealership. It is the best pickup that i have ever owned. I mostly use it to pull my 28 foot 5th wheel around and it has never given me any trouble what so ever [87,000 km] My only complaint is mpg while towing. I used to have a 2001 Duramax Diesel, that was a really good truck as well [Kids put shopping carts in the middle of the hi way and I totaled my Truck] I miss the diesel for towing mpg but I don't miss the smell and maintenance costs. I think that most people that don't like the Tundra are like most truck buyers "Brand Loyal". And I don't think that their is much that Toyota or anybody on any of these Pickup Truck forums can say or do that will change any bodies opinion.