Toyota Tacoma Discuss the Toyota Tacoma here

Why is there so much hate for the Toyota Tundra?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 04:28 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by kyled
I tend to disagree. My brother's Tacoma gets the job done pretty well, and he's the kind of guy who's got every toy imaginable to tow (boat, skis, 4wheelers, etc.) The difference I think is the V6 tow package. But to each his own!
well again those things dont have alot of wieght that he hauls im jsut saying i would like to see soomebody actually do what the comercails say it can like haul over 10,000lbs up a step grade with fire all around it i doubt that that actaully happend even thow it said actual test

Old 10-28-2011, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by cubpak89
well again those things dont have alot of wieght that he hauls im jsut saying i would like to see soomebody actually do what the comercails say it can like haul over 10,000lbs up a step grade with fire all around it i doubt that that actaully happend even thow it said actual test
Right on. I also don't think Chevys are actually made out of rocks like the song said in the commercial. It's a commercial.

So really, what's the hate for Tundras? I've run toyota engines into the 4-500k miles with no major problems in the past. Is it just their truck engines?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:01 PM
TruckForum Addict

me i just dont like the way the frames are i was hauling scrap from a farm and there was a truck frame there and i asked the owner of the property whats this to he said a 2000 toyota it was rusted out and bent pretty bad i said did he get in a wreck nope the frame just bent but metal does bend in any brands defense but my point is all i ever see people do with toyotas is put huge rims on them and loud loud as hell sterios in them
the only ones i see lifted or hauling naything are the older one like the 80s thru late 90s and yes toyota 4 bangers are a beast off road ive seen alot of them go thru what most gm and other brands cant even make it in but i perfer made in america

Old 11-07-2011, 11:17 PM

me i just dont like the way the frames are i was hauling scrap from a farm and there was a truck frame there and i asked the owner of the property whats this to he said a 2000 toyota it was rusted out and bent pretty bad i said did he get in a wreck nope the frame just bent but metal does bend in any brands defense but my point is all i ever see people do with toyotas is put huge rims on them and loud loud as hell sterios in them
the only ones i see lifted or hauling naything are the older one like the 80s thru late 90s and yes toyota 4 bangers are a beast off road ive seen alot of them go thru what most gm and other brands cant even make it in but i perfer made in america
Doesn't toyota actually make the Tundras in America? That was one of the things that made me like them

Old 11-08-2011, 06:35 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by qwiktruck03
Doesn't toyota actually make the Tundras in America? That was one of the things that made me like them
yes there made in america but there origins actually bagan in japan

Old 01-31-2012, 05:27 PM
MrT
Beginner

I had the chance to buy an 08 Tundra but for me it's the looks and American heritage. I grew up on a farm that Detroit power built; we still run a '36 Chevy grain truck, and 60's model Ford, Chevy, and Dodge lift bed trucks. The '36 Chevy was bought by my Great-Grandpa, so it's a pride thing for me.

Ultimately I went with a '10 Silverado (ext cab, Z71 4x4, 5.3, 6 spd). Not that the Tundra's are a bad truck, its just the overall compromise. The Tundra really is built as a heavy half ton. I don't haul 12k lb trailers so I don't need the size of truck. I'm usually hauling, at most, 8k lbs so I prefer the lighter truck and better MPG's.

Also, I just don't like the looks. The hood is too short, the bed sides are too tall, and the interior just reminds me too much of a van. I don't know why but it does. Trust me, I really looked hard at it but just couldn't do it.

Oh, and my Silverado was built in Indiana...

Last edited by MrT; 01-31-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Beginner

Old thread but I like having fun with these..... Toyota makes a decent product but they advertise CONSTANTLY in my area about how reliable their product is. My experience, wifes half of the family drives all Toyotas, and knowing other construction contractors with Tundras leads me to one conclusion: They are no more reliable than any other brand. They are not particularly easy to work on. When they do break, get your wallet out. My biz partners '02 Tundra engine decided to blow its head gasket at 130K. Couldn't get a decent used engine for less than $2500. GM 5.3's are EVERYWHERE at less than $1K. And they don't blow headgaskets..... Everytime that Tundra was in for service it was $700 minimum. Nothing was cheap. GM's may actually have a worse reliability rating but they are cheap and easy to fix on your own. RT

Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Beginner

yes there made in america but there origins actually bagan in japan
wrong, the new tundra was designed, engineered, and built here.

PickupTruck.Com - First Drive: 2007 Toyota Tundra

Old 05-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Banned

Toyota makes great vehicles, famous for their longevity and durability. Tundra is no exception. American Truck-makers definitely have a monopoly on the market, but Tundra 4X4 and Tacoma are great work trucks.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Beginner

I got my Tundra in 2008 with a Super Charger installed at the dealership. It is the best pickup that i have ever owned. I mostly use it to pull my 28 foot 5th wheel around and it has never given me any trouble what so ever [87,000 km] My only complaint is mpg while towing. I used to have a 2001 Duramax Diesel, that was a really good truck as well [Kids put shopping carts in the middle of the hi way and I totaled my Truck] I miss the diesel for towing mpg but I don't miss the smell and maintenance costs. I think that most people that don't like the Tundra are like most truck buyers "Brand Loyal". And I don't think that their is much that Toyota or anybody on any of these Pickup Truck forums can say or do that will change any bodies opinion.

Quick Reply: Why is there so much hate for the Toyota Tundra?