Toyota Tundra Discuss the Toyota Tundra here.

Power

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Default Power

I also test drove the new Tundra the 5.7 and for not much more moneyIbought a Silverado HD with 6.6 Duramax and Allison 6 speed. All I can say is lets do 0-60 with 10000pounds behind us and see who wins.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Default RE: Power

Not sure as i haven't seen or heard of anyone doing that yet, my trailer only holds 7000lbs, but i can tell you that you little test with 7400lbs will result in a loss for your duramax. Pick up a copy of the Sept. issue of consumer reports and see for yourself!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:03 PM

I've owned a T100, 2000 Tundra, 2003 F250/V10, and now a 2007 Silverado with Duramax. All I'm trying to say is for a couple thousand more you could have a truck that would pull a tundra backward and run 300k without batting an eye. Out of the box I get 365hp and 660ft tq at 1600rpm and with a $700 module I would see 465hp and 780ft tq. Plus you can tow 16000 pounds. Get the most for your investment.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: OILBURNER6.6

I've owned a T100, 2000 Tundra, 2003 F250/V10, and now a 2007 Silverado with Duramax. All I'm trying to say is for a couple thousand more you could have a truck that would pull a tundra backward and run 300k without batting an eye. Out of the box I get 365hp and 660ft tq at 1600rpm and with a $700 module I would see 465hp and 780ft tq. Plus you can tow 16000 pounds. Get the most for your investment.
Yes, if you are buying a truck for towing huge loads, your correct. But, there are disadvantages eith a diesel also so there are not for everyone! A few i can tell you after having a diesel myself is they are good for *!@% off roading if you hunt like me, not fun to park with their huge turning radius, make to much noise for people to hear you on intercoms, and are sometimes hard to find fuel for. Not to mention they take for ever to heat up in winter! My Tundra has none of those issues and is also quicker to move me through traffic, will last as long (after all it's a toyota!) and will have every bit and more resale value of a diesel (mine was o.k. when i traded it). So, for someone who likes a sporty car type vehicle that can to truck capabilities and even heavy towing, I highly reccommend the new Tundra! Diesels are more for someone in construstion, which i used to do, and aren't designed for short commuting trips either. Your diesel may pull my Tundra with the weight advantage, but you'll have to catch it first, lol!

Old 10-13-2007, 03:04 PM

All I can say is test drive the new Silverado with Duramax. I used to think Diesels were too noisy, but this new truck is as quiet as a gas engine. After driving both trucks, my turning radius is as good or real close. As for heating up quickly, thats whats nice about new technology, it does heat up fast and for 0-60 your not going to run away as fast as you think. If I get a $700 module you just don't have enough. Look I loved my old Tundra and went to buy a new one, thinking it was better then it is. As for longevity in a gas engine, your not going to beat a diesel. For resale value, they both will do well. Look I like the new Tundra, all I'm saying is new diesel technology has solved most of the old issues. In most cases they provide more power and longevity, with less noise then they used to. Toyota also had some real catastrophic cam-shaft issues, obvious they didn't do their homework first. You have to build all the components to handle the 381hp and 400ft tq.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:28 PM

I'll agree with alot of your coments on how much better the new diesels are, and i would definately buy another one. But unless my truck is going to stay on the road all the time and get alot of long trips on it, along with towing a 5th wheel trailer alot, I found a good gas engine is just fine. I didn't feel the extra 6 grand for a duramax over my Tundra in price was worth the extra couple mpg's. It wasn't quicker or easier to drive and i know first hand how they are off-roading. For me it was a easy choice already being down that road once before. And, the extra cost wouldn't have ended with the diesel as i would have had to dump a $900 edge programmer in it also. Remember, im use to driving GTO's and Stangs, lol! Oh, the cam failures were in 20 trucks and were a outside manufactors mistake that was caught in early production.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:08 AM

I walked out the door with my new Silverado for 40k, after pricing out the Tundra Crew-max, they would be very close in price. As for off road the Tundra's not as great as one may think. They have no ground clearance, but they do go around turns nice. If you want to get into serious off road like my dad does in his jeep, You would have to sink some money into the suspension on both trucks. Just my opinion, I felt I got more capability for about the same money.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:33 PM

My Tundra was $29K after some hard negotiations as it stickered for $34.5K. Mines a double cab with plenty of room but a giant Crew MAX was onlt 3grand more, so about $32,000. Got $8000 left for a lift, tires and a supercharger! Actually, the Toyota has more ground clearance than a chevy and sits higher also. One problem i've noticed already though from running the fields, is that my tundra is alot like my diesel, as it is hard to get going in dirt since it makes alot of low end torque and you really need to feather the throttle to get it to move without digging itself into a hole!

Old 10-25-2007, 09:55 PM

I have one word, TOY. I would like to see you at a red light with both trucks pulling a 31 ft trailer. You can't hold a candle.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:18 PM

ORIGINAL: OILBURNER6.6

I have one word, TOY. I would like to see you at a red light with both trucks pulling a 31 ft trailer. You can't hold a candle.
How much does this trailer weight? Under 10K, you'll be surprised at the outcome! Beating your chest without proof is senseless, go read the Sept 2007 Consumer Reports article for some eye opening test results! And why does a truck always have to be rated by towing only? I lookat the bigpicture, total package if you will. The best combination of towing, acceleration, off roading, utility, mileage, cost of ownership and everyday drivability are more important than just how much I can tow a few times. I'm glade I don't have my diesel anymore as diesel cost $0.35 a gallon more in my area! You mayconvince someone who has notowned a diesel, but I have, and I chose the new Tundra 5.7L over all others for the best all around truck ( but the acceleration is what won me over). Would I ever own another diesel? Yes, if towing over 10K lbs alot as when I ran a part time construction business, they are the ticket!

Quick Reply: Power