Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Toyota Tundra (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/toyota-tundra-22/)
-   -   tundra power (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/toyota-tundra-22/tundra-power-3497/)

taylanemilyme 06-21-2007 06:45 AM

tundra power

I was thinking about getting a tundra crew cab. How is the power on these trucks copare to to other full sizers out there?
Thanks

lisatoyota 07-26-2007 12:46 AM

RE: tundra power

I have a 04 and i love it a lot.

1fast4x4 09-01-2007 10:38 AM

The new 5.7L is unbelievable, and in a league of it's own. Drive the others first, then a Tundra w/5.7L, you won't want to drive anything else! It's as much fun as my mustang for acceleration!

72charger 09-02-2007 11:15 PM

Yeah go drive an '08 twin turbo F-350 and let us here your testimony then.

1fast4x4 09-03-2007 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: 72charger

Yeah go drive an '08 twin turbo F-350 and let us here your testimony then.
They are supposed to be dogs and i actually read a article where the Tundra out pulled all the diesels to 60mph with a 7400lb trailer towed behind. About 1 second quicker to 60 than the next closets duramax. Read about it in September's consumer reports magazine! There isn't a stock truck other than a SRT10 Viper dodge that can out accelerate the new Tundra, and none with 4X4 trans., and that's with or without a load!

72charger 09-03-2007 03:19 PM

Yeah maybe they should try that again with 10,000lbs. AGAIN, we're talking ability, not sports cars!

1fast4x4 09-03-2007 05:00 PM

Yeah maybe they should try that again with 10,000lbs. AGAIN, we're talking ability, not sports cars!
yep, looks like we got a bowtie boy in here with penis envey? Gotta find something in a completely different class of vehicles for a different purpose to make your shortcommings look better? Sorry you need to get a diesel to outpull a Tundra and you need over 10,000lbsthe average homeowner will never tow to do it, lol! When towing or acceleration are a concern for a half ton truck owner, the Tundra is like a gun in a knife fight! I owned a 2004 Dodge Cummins H.O. diesel with a edge programmer and yes it was great, but sucked for everday commuting and off road adventures when i go hunting. My Toyota does it all better.:D

hunt4game29 09-14-2007 04:36 PM

So how are the new tundra's on gas mileage?

1fast4x4 09-17-2007 03:49 PM

Anywhere from 15 to 20 mpg unloaded. I am usually in the 16's along with a co-worker's alsofor all around city/hwy driving. If you stay under 65mph, you'll see 19's but if you go up to 75mph, you'll drop into the 15's. It is very possible to get 18+ mpg if you can resist stomping the accelerator and driving over 65mph!

hunt4game29 09-17-2007 03:54 PM

Yeah. See thats why i like my chevy i get 19 driving 75 never drive 65 so i dont know what it would be. Why are the toyota so much lower on gas mileage?

1fast4x4 09-25-2007 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: hunt4game29

Yeah. See thats why i like my chevy i get 19 driving 75 never drive 65 so i dont know what it would be. Why are the toyota so much lower on gas mileage?
Everyone drives different and in different conditions. I had a 2000 GMC K1500 w/5.3L and it usually got 17mpg, about the same as iam getting with my Tundra before i changed the exhaust and air box. So, to compare my mpg to yours might not be real fair, but to compare my GMC to my Tundra is and it is very similar. The Tundra may have 6 speeds, but it also has a 4.30 rear gearratio also!

72charger 10-04-2007 08:32 PM

GM RULES!

1fast4x4 10-05-2007 04:44 PM

GM RULES!
???????? I see no facts to support such a claim in the half ton truck market. Diesel market, maybe and sports cars definately!

blu82chev 10-11-2007 12:29 AM

I say burn the toyota collect the insurance on that over priced ugly bubble on wheels rig, with all the rebates you could get into a new ss for about 30k take the other 6 or so and place in a turbo kit and call it a day. Than you will have economy when light on the peddle, looks, and performance. Plus the chevy's interior doesnt look like somthing found in a cereal box, and trust me its no prize.

OILBURNER6.6 10-12-2007 01:09 PM

I test drove a new 5.7 Tundra and it had good acceleration. but for not much more money I bought a new 2007 Silverado HD with the Duramax 6.6 and Allison 6 speed. Lets just say it's an animal. I'm glad I made the decision I did.

1fast4x4 10-12-2007 05:17 PM

Geez, you outta have read the September issue of Consumer Reports truck comparison. Your animal duramax lost a 7400lb towing competition to the Tundra, but that's o.k., all the other trucks did also! Now i'm not saying a diesel can't be made into a animal, just stating in stock form they're not too impressive. Yes i drove them all and actually had a edge chipped 2004 Cummins H.O. myself and it wasthe second best truck i've ever owned.

OILBURNER6.6 10-12-2007 08:23 PM

If your going to spend 40K on a truck get diesel and feel real power. I've owned a T100, 2000Tundra, 2003 F-250/V10, and now a 2007 Silverado Duramax 6.6 and Allison 6 speed. I test drove every truck, including the new Tundra bothwere impressive off the line. For a couple thousand more you can get a truck that has 365hp and 660# tq at 1600rpm. I could pull a tundra backward and witha $700 module you could get 465hp and 789# tq.All I'm saying is get the most truck for your money and if you owned a Dodge I'm sorry.

1fast4x4 10-13-2007 10:33 AM

You have some valid points if you need to tow 10,000+lbs on a regular basis, but for the majority of use, it isn't the best choice anymore. Mileage is increasing along with power on these new gassers and they require less maintenance and are easier to use for a everyday vehicle, ie. availability of fuel and parkingin lots and off road use..... As for cost, the dieselstill cost 4 or 5 grand more and to make it a beastyou need a chip andCAI andexhaust for another 2 grand. So, and 6G's to SC a Tundra and you have everything the diesel has and more going down the strip.:D

OILBURNER6.6 10-25-2007 09:50 PM

I tried to be nice, but they are just toys, and I owned one. If you want a Mustang, then buy one. If you want a truck that can pull your house off the foundation and down the street at 0-60 in a hurry, buy a Chevy with the Duramax 6.6and 6 speed Allison. When you have 660ft # of torque at 1600RPM, without a module, lets talk real power. Plus I enjoy 21 MPG on the highway. I think the extra $7000 is worth it, or just stop comparing a truck with a car. When you can tow 16000# with out a fith wheel for 300000+ miles, then you have a truck. If you want to buy a truck that is anextra second faster, buy a Tundra. With a $700 module you're looking at 470hp and 800 ft # of torque, that will embarrass you.

1fast4x4 10-30-2007 09:28 PM

I had the edge programmer in my dodge with the best Diesel on the market! It did make alot more torque than my Tundra, but it was no where near as quick off the line as my Tundra is stock! Where the diesel comes on is when it shifts and gets to higher speeds as it seemed to lunge forward as it shifted and not slow to air drag at all. Nothing that the 10G's i've saved won't cover in say, a super charger? Stock for stock, or modded for modded, i still don't see a real advantage for a diesel, especially if you spend equal moneyon them! If all your worried about is pulling stuff, then you made a good choice, i use my truck for much more!

JohnAdamsR 11-01-2007 06:32 PM

the Chevy Silverado 2500HD with the Duramax Diesel and Allison tranny is the most powerful diesel truck on the market today. Its been proven, just look in any diesel mag for comparisons. If you simply put a chip in that truck it will blow away ANY other truck on the road, and still get better gas mileage. Plus, diesel engines last forever. Most can easily go 300,000. There is definitely no gas truck that will out tow it either. Diesel will always be better than a gas truck.

Cracker 11-01-2007 07:07 PM

Research does not always reveal what we are hoping to achieve.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/s...th_search.y=11

Sorry, Guys.

Cracker 11-01-2007 07:11 PM

We seem to be arguing over apples and oranges and forgeting the one of the main reasons we joined these forums....to help each other. Now, does anyone want to help the thread starter?

Cracker 11-01-2007 07:22 PM

Taylanemilyme, the 5.7L is a powerful engine. Toyota has always produced a quality vehicle, though they have slipped 3 places in the "most reliable" area from #1 to #3 preceeded by Ford and Buick respectively. Power is not a sole basis to purchase a vehicle. Reliability, maintinence costs, and purpose should also play a role. Most trucks are close enough in cost, when comparing apples to apples, that the difference can usually be negotiated at the dealer.
This may be a more complicated answer than you were looking for.

blu82chev 11-05-2007 10:33 PM

You say you would just supercharge your Tundra? With the compression that the yota motor is putting out you would have to run race gas to notice a measurable difference to spend the 6500k for the magnacharger setup. That is where all the power comes from, also why it gets 13mpg while my alluminum block gets a respectable 18-20mpg

hunt4game29 11-05-2007 10:58 PM

Cracker if we arent arguing over apples and oranges then there would be no fun about the forums and it would would be boring:D

Cracker 11-06-2007 09:01 PM

I like comparing grapefruit to Chevys......
Taylanemilyme, remember I said power isn't everything. Watch the link and make your decision.

wintersucks 12-20-2007 04:25 AM

if you want power (and lots more power very cheaply) longevity, and mileage you can't beat a diesel.

1fast4x4 12-20-2007 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: wintersucks

if you want power (and lots more power very cheaply) longevity, and mileage you can't beat a diesel.
You seem to be overlooking the additional $5K plus for the diesel option to begin with! Yes once you pay to get the diesel option you really need to spend another grand for a quality programmer or else you wasted 5 grand. So, all your extra power is gonna cost you $6,000, not to cheap in my book. That's why i say keep cost in persective, as you could supercharge a gas motor for that which would give you similar or better results IMO! And as for a couple mpg's extra a diesel gets, the fifty cents extra fuel prices negate any advantage there also. I think longevity isn't a real issue either as the majority trade every two to three years anyway, more of a issue for a old farmer like my parents, lol!

72charger 12-23-2007 04:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Cracker

I like comparing grapefruit to Chevys......
Taylanemilyme, remember I said power isn't everything. Watch the link and make your decision.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZz3xly3HUA
That's funny.:D

1fast4x4 12-27-2007 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: JohnAdamsR

the Chevy Silverado 2500HD with the Duramax Diesel and Allison tranny is the most powerful diesel truck on the market today. Its been proven, just look in any diesel mag for comparisons. If you simply put a chip in that truck it will blow away ANY other truck on the road, and still get better gas mileage. Plus, diesel engines last forever. Most can easily go 300,000. There is definitely no gas truck that will out tow it either. Diesel will always be better than a gas truck.
Was at the salon today waiting for my wife and kids to get their hair cut and stumbled across the new Popular Mechanics magazine with a comparison of GM, Ford and Dodges diesels and wasn't too impressed! The GM was by far the best, but still only puts up moddest numbers for acceleration. I would get bored driving a truck that takes 8.85 seconds 0-60 and tops a quarter in 16.5 sec. Ya, I know you can mod, but can't we all!! Anyway the GM topped the mpg battle also at 18.2, and while towing 9100lbs got 10, not real good considering diesel is 50 cents a gallon more. Hard to justify a diesel to me unless your using it for contractor work and will put 300,000 miles on it. By the way, the new Ford 6.4 is a joke, lol!

wellmax 01-28-2008 10:20 PM

I pull a 5500# travel trailer with an 2000 model old style Chevy 3/4 ton, 350 engine (255hp) 4l80E transmission, 3.73 differential.

Do you think the 2006 or 2007 Tundra withthe 4.7 liter engine could pull this trailer withadequate power. I also need best gas mileage possible as this will be my only vehicle.
Thanks,

gregt909 02-03-2008 01:26 PM

Why are there so many Chevy owners trolling the Toyota forums? Do they feel the need to justify their choice and try to knock the king offits throne?

The new Tundra is truck of the year for a reason. It's a great 1/2 ton truck.

I say this having traded in a 2005 Ford F250 diesel. It was a great truck also but I didn't need to tow 12,000 lbs. Plus the extra $.50 a gallon for diesel was getting old.

If you have a Chevy, Ford, Dodge or whatever and you think your truck is better, that's great. Enjoy your ride. To each their own.

Back to the question: The 5.7 is by far the quickest truck I've ever driven, it rivals a muscle car in terms of accelleration. I tow a boat weighing 7000 lbs. and the truck handles it very well, plenty of power and more importantly, it can stop it with confidence.

Just my 2 cents.....

DamnYankee 10-03-2008 05:14 PM

I guess I would tend to throw a question back at the original poster - Are you wanting the fastest stock truck on the market or the truck with the most potential to be made fast? In other words, what is your end goal?

This thread turned into a "who's better" and I don't think his question is getting answered.

Chevyalltheway 11-29-2008 09:31 PM

DamnYankee I think you were a little late on this one.

Anyways, to continue this conversation, a friend of mine just bought an 08 Tundra crew cab loaded to the T and with the 5.7. I thought it was an awesome truck and a good second to GMC. He was happy with it and I loved riding in it because the ride was smooth and it was fun to drive. Basically it did everything great that you would expect out of a CAR.

As soon as the first freeze hit and the snow fell, he went and put new tires on it because with 8,000 miles it was slipping more than a trans am. IN 4WD!!! He got the new tires and it still sucked. He sold it last week.

He went and bought a GMC Crew cab and it was almost like he was releived to be driving a real truck again. All I know is I accept the Toyota in the trucking world because it will outperform any other halfton UNLOADED and on DRY GROUND, but I'll always be a GM guy.

I will add that consumerreports is EXTREMELY biased towards the imports and former imports and at my dads work they have a 2004 Chevy 2500 with a bone stock duramax that just turned 450,000 miles. Still running strong.

DamnYankee 12-15-2008 10:21 PM

I looked all over for the expiration date and didn't see one, so I posted.

Chevyalltheway 12-17-2008 05:33 AM

Its at the top above the name on each post. I like to talk about the tundra and the controversy it causes, it is the American way after all

brazos 12-22-2008 05:09 PM

If power is what you want, all of the big 3 plus Toyota or Nissan will deliver. When is the last time you saw two trucks towing a trailer or camper get into a drag race ? Compare apples to apples, 1/2 tons to 1/2 tons. If you have to buy a whole list of add-ons to make the truck perform, then look at a different make.
Each has its strong points.
The dealership that takes care of its customers is a big plus.
Will it be in business next year?

I have owned all of the above makes except Nissan so I can't judge it but the Toyota Tundra is aspowerful as any of them in stock form and it is extremely quiet. if past performance is anything then it will prove to be very reliable. None are slouches but compare them all and choose the one that means your needs.

brazos 12-26-2008 10:11 PM

Does anyone have a 5.7 Toyota that you have installed true dual exhausts on?

Since it has two catalytic converters it should be available but the dealer does not have a kit and I do not want to void the warranty. Actual space under the truck looks very confined.
Any thoughts?

ozark 01-01-2009 09:10 AM

How is this for an observation, some tell how great their truck is and then post a list of all the add-ons. If it was so great in the first placewhy did they have to spend so much for add-ons?

Chevy owners love to brag on the Duramax, a truck with a Jap designed engine and a transmission from a third party -Allison. What is left that is actually GM?