Chevy/GMC Small Trucks Forum Discuss the Colorado, Canyon, Sonoma, S-10, etc here!

Brake line burst due to corrosion & rear drums corroded

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Default Brake line burst due to corrosion & rear drums corroded

Original owner low mileage 98 S10 , Always garaged & excellant condition,perfectpaint & no body rust..............

Heres my story , driving on Route 95 ...had to step on brakes>> Hard...cut offwhen another car changed lanes......[] brake pedal went to the floor, felt like no brakes ....went to side of road..brake fliud leaking from beneath ..... Taken to nearest repair facility NTB Seabrook NH.........They advised brake lines burst due to corrosion .... further examinaton ...rear wheel cylinders corroded & bleeders frozen..... rear drums corroded to the point that you coud see through them ..if you held them up you could see the sunall aroundthrough the side >>note this is the face of drums corroded through ..looked like lace ..............cost me $735 bucks ...most of brake lines were replaced as well as rear cylinders & drums ..the shoes had little wear.............no corrosion onbody panelsor floorwhen viewed from underneath ...surface rust on frame rails....severecorrosion on brake components....

anywone else had a simular situation ???

My S10 has only 80,000 Miles & looks like new ..always garaged ....now Parinoid safety wise ...wondering if i complain to Chevrolet if i will get any satisfaction ?????

Old 06-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Default RE: Brake line burst due to corrosion & rear drums corroded

The only thing I can think of is it came in contact with a chemical that affects aluminum, but not so much steel. Acid of some sort maybe.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:12 PM

pretty common scenario in the ruist belt,yes...735 sounds like a good price

Old 11-04-2008, 12:20 PM

Almost the same thing happened to me! ... by pure blind dumb luck I happened to be at a Goodyear Service Center getting an oil change ... the mechanic drove it onto the lift and kept going!!!!

WTF?!

He jumps out and starts swearing at me?! ... "no brakes?! why didn't you tell me that your truck had NO BRAKES!!!!"

We get the truck onto the lift ... Steel brake lines were totally corroded (only on the driver side ?) ... replaced front, rear and ABS (three) with generic steel lines ... Cost me $350 and four hours ... they couldn't fix the problem completely because they bleeder screws were locked/corroded and they ran the risk of breaking them ... at that time of night they could not get replacement parts

Called Chevrolet (8000-222-1020) and reported my problem ... they said "wow, sorry to hear that ... we haven't had any problems like this reported before"?!!!!!!!!! ... must be that its an old high mileage truck and/or you drive off road, in salt marshes, on the beach, etc?!!!!!

please call and report this problem ... these brake lines need to be made of something more impervious (stainless steel?) ... I'm nuts about routine maintenance and stay on top of the consumables/wearables in the truck (pads, rotors, belts, etc...)

My case number with Chevrolet is #71-676840739 ... lets get the forum to report their problems as well and get Chevrolet to make these vehicles safer!

Old 11-04-2008, 12:24 PM

P.S. I have a 1997 Chevy S-10 Ext Cab ... 117K Miles ... rotors and calipers replaced at 80K