Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

1995 C1500 Transmission or Differential Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Talking 1995 C1500 Transmission or Differential Problem

I have a 1995 Chevy C1500, 4.3L, 2 Wheel Drive with about 150K miles on it and starting to have trouble. I recently am having trouble when the engine is cold and I switch to reverse it hardly moves the pickup when I use the accelerator. I can press the gas and it crawls in reverse but works better as it warms up. I have also noticed a weird greasy smell emitting that only seems to be getting worst. I can not pin point the source. I did spot a oil spill after hauling a boat but could not figure out the oil source. The oil was not red but honey looking and had an unknown smell to it so I just could not figure it out. I also checked my oil levels afterwards and all is good. It leaked about two quarts on the pavement below.

Does anyone know what may be the cause or the problem? I would hate to have the transmission replaced if it's the rear differential. Any suggestions or a way to test the problem?

All suggestions or information is welcomed.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Jacie - 1995 C1500 4.3L 2 Wheel Drive

Old 03-22-2011, 07:00 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I would definitely check the differential and transmission fluid level. It sounds like you are describing differential gear lube as far as the honey color and grease smell. Pull the plug on the side of the differential housing and see what you have. If you have a leak it should be real obvious as there will be a permanent wet looking spot back there on the housing. I am not sure how that would relate to you reverse issue though. Is the rear end making noise?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

The reverse issue is either a fluid or tranny issue, like shamrock said check the fluid level, whens the last time the filter has been changed? Tranny fluid is thick when cold and thins out as it warms up, a plugged up filter would cause this...but more in all gears. the greassy smell and oil puddle is probably one of a few things, a diff that is low on fluid, a leaking wheel seal, leaking tube seal, or a cover leak...again like shamrock said pull the plug in the side of the diff and check the fluid level. a good rule of thumb is to take the small end of an allen wrench and stick it in and down at a 90 degree angle to the hole and if you get fluid on the allen wrench then it is full enough...but me personally I like to be able to stick my pinky in and feel it then I know its full enough.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:14 PM

Thanks guys, I'll try to get out and check the level on the diff and might try having the trans oil replaced along with filter to see if that helps. Keep your suggestions coming I really appreciate it.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:06 PM

i had a 98 i just got ride of and towed a truck home with it the tranny went but it still drove just the hole under carriage was covered in oil and it smelt burned a seal of some sort went and was blowing oil into the transfercase

Old 03-29-2011, 04:14 AM
jvp

Just adding fluid and wishing for a positive outcome just is not going to happen.
That 2 qts. that you describe under your truck is going to be there again when you add the next 2 qts.

I am going to say with 150k you may very well be looking at a rebuild for the trans, or you might just get Lucky and it could be a rear seal only. If it is only the rear seal and you keep driving it you will be looking a complete rebuild.

For pease of mind get it checked out and then you can decide with some hard facts

good luck
jvp