Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

99 sierra tranny flush/engine tune up ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Beginner
Default 99 sierra tranny flush/engine tune up ??

Hey everyone, Im new to the site and its really helping me out !

I have a question.... I bought this truck about 3 weeks ago and it seems to be in great condition.... it has about 150K miles on it.
I was driving the other day and noticed a pretty loud THUD/hard shift when shifting between 1st and second. I came to a stop and drove ahead again and it did it again.... it happened about 3-4 times.
I shut my truck off and it sat for a while. I got in it about 2 hours later... started driving and there was no more sounds or hard shift ??? and it hasn't done it since.
I dont know the history on the transmission of this truck.... would you suggest I take it for a flush ???

My other question is.... when buying a truck with higher miles.... what are some maintenece things you would do right off the get go.... oils, filters, plugs, etc ???? Thanks for any help !

Old 10-08-2010, 03:53 PM

i would just have trans drained, filter changed and refilled, if trans continues to work fine then in 5k have it drained again. after the third drain and refill you will have most of the old oil out.

sounds like you are starting to have problems,

when you turn motor off you reset the computer, did the service engine light come on. does it work, when you turn on ignition and all the lights come on does the engine service light come on, it should then go off when you start motor.

if not someone may have disconnected it.

my old truck started the hard shift, it was the torque converter going bad, replaced it and all was good. but most mech wanted to rebuild the trans.

the hard shifts may be caused by the computer thinks there is trans slippage and it increase the clutch shift pressure to keep the clutchs from burning out.

you need a top rated trans mech to look at the trans.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:12 PM

Torque converter regulator. There's a kit ya can get to smooth out the shifting a bit between the gears. is it mostly between 1st and 2nd?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by garett7rw
Torque converter regulator. There's a kit ya can get to smooth out the shifting a bit between the gears. is it mostly between 1st and 2nd?
Yea it is mostly between one and two

Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 PM

yep, "The most common cause is the TCC Regulator. To repair it requires reaming the bore and installing an oversize valve. The reaming tool is expensive and if you don't have one it's cheaper to buy a Reman Valve Body. If you need a valve body I recommend Valve Body Express. Google it and you can look at their products."