Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

tranny fluid flush

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Default tranny fluid flush

I have an appointment next week for my truck to have the tranny fluids replaced. They said i believe all 16 qts, but they dont replace the filter for that price, just run some solvent thru it which cleans the filter, really good. My truck has 67,000 miles on it, and i have no idea if the fluids have ever been replaced. $109.00 complete, is that a decent price? Actually they said if i wanted, i could add a bottle of Lucas tranny stuff to it, just for added protection. I am picking it up and they said they'd add it when they do the fluid change / flush. Could that help with the known GM problem with the clunking noise with the backlash etc ? Maybe even a smidgeon? LOL, Thanx, Jim

Old 10-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Default RE: tranny fluid flush

Argon will tell you the same thing......do the filter and the fluid, not just the fluid. I did the fluid about six months back, then I did the filter a week ago. Night and day difference in performance now that the filter is changed. Much smoother and it feels like Im getting more power to the pavement. (My truck had 68K when I did the fluid and 75K now).

Old 10-19-2007, 06:03 PM

yep..DO NOT give these maroons 100 bucks to hook up a BG machine and flush it in about 10 minutes..take it somewhere where they'll drop the pan and replace the filter.....expect to pay 130ish for that.

Also..insist on DEXRON 3 or fluid....not some crap that says it "will work where dexron 3 is required"

Old 10-20-2007, 08:17 PM

If the fluid change smoothes out the tranny then, in theory, the "clang" should subside, but, I doubt it.
While they are under there see if they will lube the yoke, that will help for a while.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:03 AM

Add the lucas, its helped stop the small slipping and funny noises from my tranny that came up @ 80k. Change the filter like the others said cause theres no harm in spending the money to change it for good tranny life.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:50 AM

I pulled my truck apart this weekend and greased the hell out of the slip yoke and replaced the rear-most u-joint for the hell of it while I had it apart. It helped a little with the "clank" noise, but it is still there. Maybe I need to use more grease? I put about 6-7 squirts of the grease gun in there. Any ideas Argon?

Old 10-22-2007, 04:32 PM

that SHOULD be enough...this is a one-piece driveshaft?

Old 10-22-2007, 05:56 PM

Did you check your rear diff when you had the drive line out?? I would check to see how much slop it has. This could be your clunk noise, sometimes the noise from the rear diff will echo through the driveline and sound like it is coming from the transfercase or tranny.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:33 AM

Argon - Yes it is a one-piece.
Yeah, the rear diff is fine. Just replaced the fluid about three months ago with the synthetic fluid it called for. Not too much excessive play in the drive line. Transfer case seems alright, level is good and fluid is new. It seems to be working more and more as I drive it. The grease is working its way in (I think).

Old 10-26-2007, 12:46 AM

Royal Puple ATF Dexron III

Here is a good article: The 10 hp Oil Change it covers the ATF as well.

Quick Reply: tranny fluid flush