Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

03 Silverado 6.0 sluggish at full throttle???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Default 03 Silverado 6.0 sluggish at full throttle???

Hello, newbie here.

I was just curious if anyone might have an idea of what my problem might be.

The truck runs fine up to half throttle but if I floor it , it almost seems like the timing is off. I filled up with 91 oct and put some injector cleaner in the tank.

I will scan it with my obd2 tonight and see if I get any error codes, the engine light is not on at the moment and never was during this problem.

My guesses are:

Dirty fuel filter.

Dirty injectors.

Possibly the spark plugs which are stock but 5 years old.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Old 04-03-2009, 04:10 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

all the above and maybe the wires??????? I would give it a "full" tune up plugs, wires, fuel filter and a good injector cleaning

Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 PM

Thanks Chris.

I ran a scan and got a "Lean Bank 2" which most likely means low fuel pressure to one side, so Ill try the fuel filter first. If I had the $$ I would do all the above but that will have to wait a bit. Dang Economy!

Mike

Old 04-04-2009, 08:15 PM

Changed the fuel filter and she runs healthy now. I blew on the old one with my mouth and I could barely get air thru it.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:51 AM

Just out of curiousity how many miles were on that filter? Congrats by the way on fixing the problem, it was good info for me as well for future experiences. I have a problem with my truck running rich at full throttle and hope to lean out a little of that with a ram air kit from Vararam before doing a custom tune that costs more than I want to spend. The economy has hit me as well so I hear ya!

Old 04-05-2009, 11:05 AM

72,000 on that filter. Its the original one from when I bought the truck. I hear these should be changed at least every 20,000 miles.

I too am looking to get a intake kit, I do have the stock air box off and have a K&N filter in place of it. In my opinion , it runs better with the stock air box on it with the stock intake. I will snap a few pics and post what I did.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; 04-05-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:01 PM

Heres my lil home made setup. This is what you get when you mix hardware stores with intakes, lol.

Attached Thumbnails 03 Silverado 6.0 sluggish at full throttle???-img_0988.jpg   03 Silverado 6.0 sluggish at full throttle???-img_0989.jpg  
Old 04-05-2009, 08:14 PM

That is quite interesting. Did you have an aftermarket intake tube before doing it just with the stock intake?

Old 04-05-2009, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pelicandivebomb
That is quite interesting. Did you have an aftermarket intake tube before doing it just with the stock intake?
Its all the original intake from the throttle body to the MAF. I just got a rubber reducer from ACE hardware to attach the K&N.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:53 AM

I may just have to go down to Home Depot later. The only thing is that everytime I drive my truck up to the parking lot I have to ignore all the guys sitting around outside begging to help me move haha.

Quick Reply: 03 Silverado 6.0 sluggish at full throttle???