Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 classic 2500HD Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Default 07 classic 2500HD Questions

Hey all....I tried posting this on another gm forum and have got zero replies.....so I'll see what happens here!

Howdy all. Switching from a Cummins into a 6.0 here.

Wanting to know if there is any decent mods I should be thinking about?

Truck has 150k on the clock and is in great shape.

I know on the diesels....1st few things is CAI and exhaust...does it float the same way on gas engines? There was big write-ups about homemade CAIs on the cummins...which I did and was easy....is there anything anybody has done DIY on these trucks?

Was thinking also about a Spectre CAI. Seem priced fair enough if they are decent units...and I can always add a K&N filter later for better filtration....

Should I think about a programmer?

I would like a little better MPGs...I guess like everyone. I don't care about HP boosts necessarily...the truck is fine for me but would be nice to help with mileage and towing every so often.

Is there anything special I should consider checking considering the mileage? I know the previous owner is a race car driver and mechanic and it appears from the outside looking in that he cared VERY well for the truck....so I'm hoping I'm in good hands. I've always liked Valvoline oil and it just so happened he has been running Val 5w-30, what it calls for so I'm decently happy with that. Was thinking about the semi-synthetic oil...should I or leave well enough alone?

Thought about changing the tranny and rear end fluid out and filters if applicable??

Thanks guys & gals!!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

A CAI, exhaust set up, and a custom tune would get you what you want, plus full synthetic fluids all around. Synthetic blend is ok, but full synthetic is better. All of this should get you from 3-4 extra MPG's.