Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Silverado-oil never changed-help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Default 07 Silverado-oil never changed-help!

I just bought a 2007 Silverado,automatic,2WD with 2860 miles on it. The oil has never been changed. I would like to change to a synthetic oil-is it too late? Should I worry about the engine since it has been almost 5 years since the oil has been changed?

Old 09-21-2010, 04:20 PM

sedlakaj,
Lack of proper engine oil maintenance may damage the engine. The repairs would not be covered by our warranty. Always follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual for changing engine oil. Your vehicle’s engine requires oil meeting GM Standard GM6094M. Look for and use only an oil that meets GM Standard GM6094M. As shown in the viscosity chart, SAE 5W-30 is best for your vehicle. These numbers on an oil container show its viscosity, or thickness. Do not use other viscosity oils such as SAE 20W-50.Oils meeting these requirements should have the starburst symbol on the container. This symbol indicates that the oil has been certified by the
American Petroleum Institute (API).

This information is out of your owners manual. If you are worried about damage to your engine I would recommend taking your vehicle to be checked at your local GM dealer of choice. If you need assistance locating a dealer I would be happy to assist you. I hope this information helps!
Christina
GM Customer Service

Old 09-21-2010, 07:12 PM

put synthetic in it if you want. switching wont damage anything, its just not recommended to do so every time you change your oil.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Beginner

Me personally I put synthetic in every vehicle I have ever owned from day one. I'm very picky when it comes to oil and there is nothing better than Mobile One for the money. I used to have a 2005 Subaru STi and used Mobile one from day one and there was an engineer on the subaru boards that did an actual test on different name brand oils including royal purple, Amsoil and a few others. Amsoil and Redline oil out performed them all and then Mobil One with royal purple in the back. Basically for the money mobil one syn. can't be beat. I'll see if I can find the actual thread and link it in this thread. Amsoil and Redline are expensive and unless your truck is a dedicated track vehicle there is no need to use it. Also I believe it was UTI did a study on oil in a honda engine and found out that at high rpms the royal purple would foam up, the purpose of oil is to get in to all the bearings and small openings of the engine and when oil foams this is not happening.

Last edited by scubiesteve; 09-22-2010 at 01:39 PM.