Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 Suburban TBI 350 issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 05:31 PM

Ive had 3 different shops look at it. The first dealership told me the dizzy was bad and the cat was clogged so off with the cat and I replaced the Dizzy,....another told me EGR valve was bad and an injector was leaky...replaced both. It does run ok, it doesn't quit at intersections anymore, but it is still lacking in power, but it does get better as the truck warms up.

Basically it runs well enough to drive anywhere, but it isn't running like it used to before the fuel pump went out.

I think I am going to do an oil change, seafoam the crap out of it, and see if that helps any at all. Maybe it is just some crud built up from when it was running really crappy.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:21 PM

I think your problem is temp sensor . Sending wrong signal for more fuel.
Temp reading too cold , also thermostat could be stuck open. Simple checks
Cost around 20 bucks to replace. A bad temp sensor will give all types bad
running conditions.
Also well not turn on cel.

Last edited by chevychase; 11-23-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:10 AM

I am on my second new temp sensor, could they both be bad? I put in a new thermostat a couple months ago, but I haven't checked it since because I am not having any cooling issues that I am aware of. Maybe this weekend I will check the thermostat and make sure it is operating properly, and check coolant level.

Thanks
Ryan

Old 11-24-2010, 03:59 PM

Well, I think I had an epiphany today....lol, The truck was running quite rough, though it was maybe the cold, and the take was almost empty, so I went and put a little over half tank in it, and it ran 10 times better....

So, maybe I screwed up the fuel-pump install, and didn't tighten a clamp or something on the pump itself, allowing it to draw air into the fuel lines, which would explain the reason it runs better with the tank over half. It would also explain the good fuel pressure reading, because when it was in the shop, it had almost a half tank when it was in the shop. Well, maybe ill get them to do another fuel pressure test while the tank is near empty and see what comes up. I'd rather not drop the tank in the snow...

Old 11-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

That could do it...I hope that fixes it for you!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:05 PM

did you happen to get a airtech pump.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:19 PM

not sure what pump i got, id have to check the receipt. I haven't gotten a chance to check the pump yet, but I drove the truck 150 miles, and barely made it to my destination. about 130 miles of driving, the truck started sputtering and popping like crazy, clouds of black smoke....limped the last 20 miles or so *bout 40 mph* but at least I got it back here. Did a once over, everything checked out. Oil was fine, coolant fine......started back up and ran like before, a little lack of power, hesitation etc...ran ok, didn't pop or backfire. I wonder if have a bad ignition module, or when I put in the new dizzy with the ignition module, they forgot to put dielectric grease on it or something. seems to do it mostly when it is warm.

Then I promptly went down to the local chevy dealership and bought an extremely clean 99 suburban K1500. Not sure what I am going to do with the old one, but for now it is going to take up residence behind my brothers garage.

It may stay there until spring, who knows. Thanks for the help guys!!