Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2001 Silverado Lowering help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Default 2001 Silverado Lowering help.

I have a 2001 Silverado that currently has leveling shackles out back. it has 20's with tires that aren't really low pro. I want to lower it more front and back and am curious of how I can do it without buying a expensive lowering kit.

I was told that I can lower the torsion bars in front to lower it and put blocks out back. How much can be done without buying springs or spindles up front safely? I dont want to throw everything to far out of wack to where it eats my tires all funny.

This is what it looks like now.

This is what im going for. ( for now anyways)
if it can happen... this would be awesome

but ill settle for this

Old 04-27-2010, 01:27 PM

the bottom is a 4/6 drop.

Can i put blocks out back and lower my torsion bars up front or should i do springs up front?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:55 PM

Is your truck a four wheel drive or two, if its two, you will have to go with coils or spindles. Spindles are better but will cost you more. As far as the rear I think you will have to flip the axle to drop it if its not already. If you axle is below your springs the only thing blocks will do is lift it. They sell a flip kit so you can put your axle above your springs. I think this gives you around 4 inches of drop.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:23 AM

2wd. I know the only lowering components I currently have are the leveling shackles. the springs are below my axle, so if i get a flip kit it will put them above the axle and drop it low in the rear. Spindles are the best for the front but will a spring swap cause geometry issues? I dont want my tires leaning in and crap. Tires are too expensive to have to rotate them every week and then replace them with 100% tread in the middle lol

Old 04-29-2010, 06:04 AM

If you spring is already below your axle, then you can get blocks for the back. The spindles are your best bet in the front if your worried about wearing tires. They basically move your hub straight up, don't have to worry about camber issues and wearing tires.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:50 AM

Ok I looked, the springs are on top of the axle. Can I take my axle out from under the truck, take the bottom U-bolt brackets and top saddles off and swap then around, reweld them? Wont this be the same as a flip kit. I know I may need to C-notch to add the travel ill be losing but Im think I can do the bracket/saddle swap and not have to BUY a flip kit. I already have the shackles in back.

I can do the fab/welding work. so that kind of work doesn't slow me down. I just wanna make sure the pinion angle doesnt get messed up. But i hear it dont need to be straight either.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:01 AM

also, im looking for pictures online for anyone who has done this and I cant find anything. Can anyone help?

Old 04-30-2010, 05:32 PM

I think you'd be fine doing your own flip, I don't know for sure though. I've never lowered a fullsize. Someone should be able to help you out, if not there is a forum on truckin magazines website and they should be able to help you out.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:49 AM

I have an 04 and I am looking to sit a little low also. I just bought the truck two weeks ago and bought some 22's for it yesterday. They will be here in the mail on Wednesday. Once they get here, I will do probably a 2-4 drop. I was going to ask the same question as the OP did, but figured I would share his thread. I guess I will be doing a flip kit on the rear and everyone says spindles. So I will get those. What about after the spindles go on? Will I need any alignment or anything? Upgrade shocks? Thanks.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:55 AM

Ok, since no one wants to help out the new guys. I did a little research on my own and figured I would post up what I am going with. I plan to do a 2/4 drop with a DJM kit. I will utilize control arms for a 2" drop, and buy some 2" lowered shocks. Out back I will use a shackle/hanger kit for a 4" drop.

After reading, I came to this conclusion that apparently coil drops are a little stiff on the suspension and ride quality is not that great. Spindles sometimes have clearance issues.

Quick Reply: 2001 Silverado Lowering help.