Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Silverado Lowering help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dozier
Ok, since no one wants to help out the new guys. I did a little research on my own and figured I would post up what I am going with. I plan to do a 2/4 drop with a DJM kit. I will utilize control arms for a 2" drop, and buy some 2" lowered shocks. Out back I will use a shackle/hanger kit for a 4" drop.

After reading, I came to this conclusion that apparently coil drops are a little stiff on the suspension and ride quality is not that great. Spindles sometimes have clearance issues.
Actually, we find that most time, a poster's own question can be answered by reading previous posts and even thoroughly thru this thread. Same end result, lots less typing for the others.

Springs will be stiff, but the biggest issue will be it throwing your camber off and your tires leaning in at the top. In turn, wearing the tires ont he inside. Spindles are the correct way to do it as the spindle mounts highers on the unit itself, giving a lower ride.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:56 AM

Ok Back to some OP questions.

Does anyone know....can you literally flip the rear leaf springs and drop it? if I plan to haul nothing, how bad of an idea is this? I have looked around for info on this and havent found anything, it may be because its a terribly horrific idea, but maybe most people just dearch them or swap them totally

Old 05-04-2010, 05:05 PM

I've never hear of actually flipping their springs, I don't think the spring would work right, the spring is built to only work one way. The way the springs are packed together the spring wouldn't compress the right way. Don't go cheap on your suspension.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:54 AM

I agree, I was just curious.

I am planning to do a rear flip with all my stock stuff. Im wondering if it will work the same as a bought kit.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

If you do a rear flip then you will need more than just spindles or control arms up front. A rear flip will give you about 6 inches of drop. You will need to either do a spindle/spring combo or a control arm/spring combo up front to get the 4 inches (some go 5) you will need to look right. Coming from a guy that has done this I would not recommend going that low if you plan on driving the truck more than just to a local shows. I ended up raising mine back up a little. My advice is go with a little larger wheel/tire and lower the suspension less. Also keep in mind that spindles are the best way to lower the front. They might cost a little more, but will save you in the long run when it comes to alignment issues. With spindles you can really skip the alignment, but even if you choose to have one it an be aligned with factory specs because all they do is relocate the wheel straight up in the fender with no camber issues. I have had 1/2 a dozen lowered trucks and have used spindles on all but one and have always been satisfied. The only time you have clearance issues is with 16's or lower diameter wheels. I am lowering a 95 GMC truck here in the next week or so and will be running the stock 15" wheels for a little while. All that is needed is to trim a little off of the lower control arm for the wheels to be able to turn. It is a very slight amount. They will still have A LOT more metal than the aftermarket control arms. Do it right the first time and skip a whole lot of headaches.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by dedge
I agree, I was just curious.

I am planning to do a rear flip with all my stock stuff. Im wondering if it will work the same as a bought kit.
If you are dead set on doing the rear flip (which again is going to put you in the weeds and if you run larger wheels you will have to have little rubber band tires that are going to ride like crap) than by all means buy the kit. For one, the kit is going to cost A LOT less than paying someone to unweld and reweld the stock perches, plus if you ever decide to raise it you will have to go through all that again. AND if you don't get them just right you will have other issues. Buy the kit and make the install easier and always have that option to go back. I know your probably saying why would I go back...trust me there will come a time when you get sick and tired of dodging every pothole and slight bump and will want your truck back drivable. The problem is everyone wants there truck to look like the ones in the magazines - well unfortunately the cooler a truck looks the less drivable it becomes. Do yourself a favor and go 20" wheels or larger with a 2" front & 4" rear lowering kit and be able to look good as well as drive your truck with no issues. Just my .02 cents.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:36 AM

Thank you very much for your insight sir. That is what I was looking for. So the drop to do is spindles up front. I am doing a 2/4 drop. So spindles up front and 2" lower shocks, and 4" shackles and hangers out back right? Also I shouldn't need an alignment?

Old 05-05-2010, 01:06 PM

You should not need an alignment or shocks with a 2 inch drop. The stock shocks will be fine. You might even be able to get away without replacing the rears. I would do the 2"-4" and drive it. If you feel you need shocks in the rear after that than buy some. I don't think you will though. Good luck and post some before and after pictures if you can.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
If you are dead set on doing the rear flip (which again is going to put you in the weeds and if you run larger wheels you will have to have little rubber band tires that are going to ride like crap) than by all means buy the kit. For one, the kit is going to cost A LOT less than paying someone to unweld and reweld the stock perches, plus if you ever decide to raise it you will have to go through all that again. AND if you don't get them just right you will have other issues. Buy the kit and make the install easier and always have that option to go back. I know your probably saying why would I go back...trust me there will come a time when you get sick and tired of dodging every pothole and slight bump and will want your truck back drivable. The problem is everyone wants there truck to look like the ones in the magazines - well unfortunately the cooler a truck looks the less drivable it becomes. Do yourself a favor and go 20" wheels or larger with a 2" front & 4" rear lowering kit and be able to look good as well as drive your truck with no issues. Just my .02 cents.
I already have 20's and a meaty tire. I dont wanna go lower profile with tire and buying bigger rims arent an option.

I can personally do the fab work (cutting and rewelding) I have worked in shops for the past 7 years. I just wasnt sure if simply moving the perches around and putting the leaf under the axle is the same as if I bought and installed a "flip Kit."

Also, the rear already have -2 shackles that level it. If it was too low I could replace them with stock shackles to take 2 out of it.

The fab isnt an issue. and I can get them straight, I just didnt wanna throw pinion angle off or anything. And I am planning to do what ever to get the front down.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:33 AM

Even with the stock shackles put back in you are still looking at 5-6" of drop and will need 4-5" in the front. That is SLAMMED and will be a bear to drive. You will need spindles and 2" or 3" springs which is going to put your camber way out of whack. So plan on a fairly expensive alignment as well. Instead of removing your perches, since you seem to be able to weld and fabricate you can make the flip kit yourself and that way your not disturbing the stock welded assembly. It is basically a square with one side removed and a hole for the leaf pin to line up. Good luck and I will be curious to hear and see which way you go. Please note all of my lowering experience is based on 1999 and earlier trucks so I may be off on the newer stuff. My last project was a 1997 Tahoe which was lowered 2" in front and 2" in rear (they get lowered the same front and back). I had a set of 20's on it with a 275/50-20 tire and the first drive really sucked the front fenders both caught the edge of the brand new tires and peeled off a nice section. I had to roll the fender lip in and buy 2 new tires then it was fine.