Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Default 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Starting Problems

I have a 05 GMC Sierra 1500 with some starting problems. It only happens occasionally and is random it seems. When I try to turn the key nothing happens with the starter only thing that I can hear working is the fuel pump. The radio works ac and heater work just when I try starting it will not start or turn over. After I try it for a while it will finally start but it never has the same pattern. Doesn't matter if its a cold start or warmed up. I'm just not sure what to do about it. Any help/suggestions is appreciated.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Beginner

I have a 2000 sierra 1500 that does the same thing. when it happens does your security light come on at the message center, if so go to the owners manual and follow the steps to deactivate the security system then re activate it . I did this and its not happened since. If your owners manual doesn't have it just let me know and i walk you though it.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:31 PM

I looked through the owners manual and couldn't find anything on how to activate and deactivate it. It has the passive security system in there where if its a foreign key it wont start. Maybe thats it?

Old 11-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Beginner

Do you have a remote key that unlocks and locks your door with out a key?

Old 11-09-2009, 01:47 AM

Yes I have a key fob and there isn't a lock on the door to open/unlock it manually either.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Beginner

Ok try this :
  • open the driver side door.
  • lock the door with the remote. Look inside the security light should be on .
  • close the door and the light should go off in 15 or 20 sec.

This worked for me so i hope it works for you.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:38 AM

Well the same problem is back. Anyone else have a suggestion/answer to why this is occurring?

Old 03-25-2010, 02:54 AM
Ford and Dodge Truck Forum Moderator

Bad Igntion Switch: If your battery checks out, but the starter is still silent, it may be a faulty ignition switch. Turn the key to the on position (not all the way to start). If the red warning lights on your dash don't light up (and your battery connections are clean), the ignition switch is bad. If they do light up, turn the key to the start position. The dash warning lights should turn off at this key position (most cars). If you're not sure, turn on the headlights. When you try to start the car, the lights should either dim (a lot) or turn off completely. If they do, your ignition switch should be ok. If not, the switch will need replacement.

Bad Starter Connection: Corrosion can not only keep your battery from connecting, it can affect any electrical component, especially the ones exposed to the elements like the starter. If you have a helper, you can test the connection by holding a circuit tester lead on the wire that engages the starter. This is the smaller of the two wires connected to the starter. Be sure no part of your body is near the moving parts of the engine - it could still start at any time! Have a friend turn the key and check the current. If you're getting current to the starter but it ain't spinning, it needs replacement.

If your starter spins freely when you turn the key, the problem lies elsewhere