Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2007 1500 w/VortecMax - trans noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Beginner
Default 2007 1500 w/VortecMax - trans noise

Hi,

I have a 2007 1500 (new style) with the Vortec-Max package. Truck has about 68k miles and I use it mostly to tow a race car trailer (about 8500-9000 lbs).

In the past month, the transmission has started making noises. Best described as a "squealing" noise, similar to the noise a brake pad makes when it is thin and the metal tab makes contact with the disc. It sometimes changes to a noise like a lawn edger makes when it hits the cement sidewalk. (Just trying to describe the noise best I can!)

Occurs under a load (towing a trailer) with light throttle and going about 15-20mph. Mostly happens in 3rd or 4th locked-up. Add gas and it goes away. It sounds like something inside is grinding itself up.

I have the GM Extended warranty and will try to use it. But....the computer has been re-flashed by Black Bear (about 4 years ago) and I wonder about the dealer reaction if their scanner shows the tune change.

So, questions are:
- Guesses about the noise?
- Others that have gone to dealers with a 'tuned' computer?

Thanks
walt

Old 08-25-2013, 07:23 PM

Walt,

If you have any questions about warranty coverage or want for us to work with you through the process of getting this checked out by the dealership, don't hesitate to contact us privately with more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your dealership/appointment information).

Sarah (Assisting Jennifer)
GM Customer Care

Old 08-25-2013, 08:09 PM
TruckForum Addict

I have turned the blind eye to a tuned computer before, but unless it is a driveability concern, or the TCM (transmission control module) has been reprogrammed, I don't see why investigating a mechanical transmission concern would make someone turn your truck away because of the tune. Worst case, they'll re-program the PCM to the GM programming before they'll touch it.

Sounds like something broke inside ... that's a little bit of a heavy load for a 1500. Clutches worn out and you're getting metal to metal seperator plate contact, you blew a bearing, or some other pieces is broken. How's the fluid?

If your towing over the GVW, tongue weight, or tow capacity, your warranty is not valid. I honestly don't know what your truck's ratings are though.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:58 PM
Beginner

The VortecMax package is rated at 10,300lbs, so I'm close but not over. Fluid smells fine.

I guess that "Worst case" would really be they don't honor the warranty!

Thanks
walt