Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

23 hwy, 11 city

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Beginner
Default 23 hwy, 11 city

i could use some help troubleshooting this fuel economy issue. for the past 4 or 5 months, probably longer, when ever i've burned through a tank strictly highway or strictly around town i get crazy good highway mileage or unbearable city mileage. both mpgs are beyond what the EPA sticked noted. any ideas?

Last edited by nw chev; 01-20-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Only thing I can think of is it running lean. Does it get hot at all or warm up fast?

Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Beginner

thanks for your help. hmmm, now that you mention it, the heater does not seem to be putting out as much heat, but its close to normal. and i've a suspicsion that the temp gauge is not rising as high as it was a year ago. i replaced a leaking water pump about 4 years ago, and the lower intake manifold gaskets about 3 years. during one or both of those, i put in a new 'stock' thermostat.

anyway, despite my suspicions about the engine running cool, when i actually counted the ticks on the temp gauge a few months ago and looked of the 'normal' temp, it was actually within limits. i know the various thermostats have different temp ranges. not sure which i put in, so i can't be sure that the temp is within spec for what the one i actually installed.

if i drive downhill for 4 or 5 miles, or if i let it idle for a while in neutral, SES will lite up, then clear itself after a few normal trips. the codes is something like P175, O2 sensor, bank 2 if i remember correctly.

when the engine is warm and at op temp, it'll give one little backfire or something when i start it. this doesn't happen all the time. maybe once a month for the past 4 or so months.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:57 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Yeah sounds like one or more of the O2 sensors are faulty. Pull the codes again to see which ones exactly.