Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2500HD - How do I take my door apart?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Default 2500HD - How do I take my door apart?

Hi y'all,

I have a problem. Last week I was in San Antonio staying at a pretty nice hotel and my '04 2500HD Diesel Silverado was minding its own business in the parking lot. The next morning I discovered my truck had been burglarized. The lowlifes jammed something into my drivers door lock to gain entry. In doing so they jammed up the lock and broke the trim around the door handle and lock. For all their trouble, and the trouble they have caused me, they got my lunchbox (value-$5) and a sealed box from the back seat. The sealed box contained 40 copies of a 50-page seminar handout teaching people how to properly prepare an application for an occupational license in Texas. In other words, they stole nothing that could possibly have any value to them.

Now, however, I have to replace my lock and the door trim. I believe this will have to be done from inside the door panel. My question: I have taken apart several car doors. Some panels are held on by clips that you just pry free. On others, like my son's Firebird, the panel has hooks on the inside. These hooks slide down over holders inside the door as you slide the panel down into place.

I do not have the service manual for my truck. How are my door panels held on? I don't want to cause more damage than the thieves when I repair it.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can provide.

Patrick

Old 09-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Default RE: 2500HD - How do I take my door apart?

If it is a 1999 or newer:
One bolt behind triangular piece behind the mirror. One by the armrest/door handle. Gently pry off the control panel for windows and door locks, there is a bolt under there. Once all three bolts are free push door trim straight up and then towards you. Unhook speaker connections. Use good adhesive to replace the clear plastic stuff.

If it is an 1998 or older:
You buy some GM door clips (buy two packages) from Advance Auto or something like that. You undo 2 or 3 bolts on the door (arm rest for sure, can't remember where the others are) and pry the door trim from the door starting at the bottom and working your way up. Then slide the entire door upwards and then out. (Be careful, damn older door trim is brittle as hell!). Use good adhesive to replace the clear plastic stuff.