Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

4WD Indicator Light: '94 Chevy Suburban

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:32 AM
Beginner
Default 4WD Indicator Light: '94 Chevy Suburban

I guess my routine is now obvious--I'm fixing every single darn little thing I can find in my Suburban.

I'm now down to that indicator light on the floor. It lights up fine when I turn on my headlights, but when I go into 4WD the little front indicator light doesn't show. I did pull the plug apart under the car to fix the wiring, and I don't think I snapped it together incorrectly, but could I have done that? Any other ideas? My 25 amp fuse seems fine. thx

Old 01-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Administrator

I don't think there is a wrong way to plug that in. as long as it clicked your good to go.
I would suggest taking your shifter console apart and cleaning it. I found bits and pieces of garbage under mine. Something could be obstructing the light when the shifter is in certain positions

Old 01-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Beginner

It could have been wired up incorrectly; I assume the 4WD light turns on when your head lights are on AND you're in 4WD, not just when your head lights are on.

Even when the 4WD-on switch is activated, this isn't going to turn on the indicator unless you have power being provided to the circuit. Pre-'96 cars generally have three options when it comes to power: always-on (directly, excluding fuses, connected to the battery so it always receives power regardless of the cars running status), run-on (receives power when the car's ignition is in the 'RUN' position), and switched, in that the circuit power is controled by a switch, like head lights). Sometimes these can blend, like when a light switch will only activate a light when the car is running. With newer cars, just about everything is run either through the PCM or BCM, so it's all ultimately switched electronically.

Sounds like the 12V end of your 4WD indicator was connected to the headlight switch.

How it likely should be:
Chasis ground|-----|[BATTERY]|-------|[4WD switch]|-----|[4WD indicator]|-----|Chasis ground

How it is likely wired up:
Chasis ground|-----|[BATTERY]|----|[Headlight switch]|---|[4WD switch]|-----|[4WD indicator]|-----|Chasis ground

Follow your wirinig and consult a wiring diagram.