Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

4x4 Do all 4 wheels get power?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Beginner
Default 4x4 Do all 4 wheels get power?

I know this question sounds basic.... But I ask based on the words of a Toyota salesman... (I had considered a Tundra)

Him on phone: Are you still interested in that 4x4 Tundra?
Me: No, I have decided to purchase a Chevrolet or GMC Silverado.
Him: Why would you want one of those?
Me: because they have a factory locking differential, I'd have to add it to the Toyota.
Him: Toyota doesn't NEED a locker because all 4 wheels are "burning" at the same time... Chevy only powers one front wheel and one rear wheel until the locker kicks in.

My question... Is this true? Does a Chevrolet or GMC only power a front and a back wheel while Toyota powers all 4?

I live near a beach with powder-like sand... the likeliness of a wheel losing traction completely is very real.

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:19 PM
TruckForum Addict

As far as I know, Chevy's 4x4 systems do power all four wheels at once.

Now, I have heard of advanced all wheel drive technology being used for Chrysler vehicles for stability control, traction control and what not that would eliminate the need for a locker in the most basic sense.

On a normal differential, power is divided evenly between the two tires as long as each tire has equal traction. A locker eliminates the tendency to loose power when one wheel looses traction. If Toyota uses their brakes to apply on the wheel that's slipping, the wheel that still has traction will start to move the vehicle.

Other than that .... I have no clue what he's talking about.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 AM
TMW

Toyota has an electric locker on the rear that locks in 4x4 low. It can be midified for 4x4 high. They also offer ATRAC which applies the brake to the spinning wheel for better traction. GM trucks have a rear locker that unlocks above 25 mph. They also have AUTO 4x4 which may work similar to the Toyota ATRAC I not up to date on it. A Chevy or GMC 4x4 will not have any problems in the sand. The biggest thing to remember when driving in sand is tire pressure. The less the better. I have dropped to 10psi in some cases to get un-stuck in both my 2004 Z71 and my 2004 Tacoma 4x4. When running low tire pressure don't make any hard radical steering movements or the tire could pop off the rim. Slight back and forth steering movements will help in traction.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:10 PM
TruckForum Addict

my 88 had more power to the front wheels then the rear when i was in 4x4 my 94 had more power to my pass side front then any other for some reason i think they call that the drive tire in 4x4 so it depends on what kind of front and rear differential and what kind of gearing and transfer case ratios when your talking about 4x4 stuff there is alot of factors to conisder but ive never had a problem with my 4x4s and they all were chevys