Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

'88 Silverado TPI to Carb Conversion HELP

Old 03-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Beginner
Default '88 Silverado TPI to Carb Conversion HELP

I know this is probably going to be a lot to read, but bear with me here. I have asked this question tons of times on other sites only to have it develop into a "Keep your TPI man! Injection is way better for street!" And its getting frustrating.

Alright back ground, so I have a 1988 Silverado K2500 ext cab long bed that my dad built years ago. The thing sat for 13+ years after his death in '02. (it was in storage being worked on some time before his death as well). The engine is a 4-bolt main, 2-piece, 350 block that has been bored .30 over. It has a forged Eagle rotating assembly that takes the cubes to 383. Ported Trick flow heads with 190cc intake runners, 2.02X1.60 valves with the dual springs, a 63cc chamber and 73cc exhaust runners. BTW, 11.82:1 compression. (It used to be supercharged with a 144 roots before I was a thing, but problems occurred and it was scraped.) A crane compu cam (want to change for a bigger one). Crane roller rockers. I rebuilt the engine less than 6000 miles ago (all new bearings, cam, lifters, push rods, gaskets), because gas got into the oil. The trans is the trucks original 700R4, but it has been upgraded with a shift kit, new clutch plates, a lock up switch, and a stall converter that I believe has a 2800 rating. This thing was his toy, and the family road trip monster. My mother recently gifted me the title, so now it's my toy. From the title you can guess what I want to to do. Currently, it has a ratty TPI intake set up from a Corvette. While it may be custom tuned to this application and look bassass, it just doesn't have the umf I'm looking for in this truck. I want to ditch it for a carb. And before you go all "keep the TPI" on me, I AM NOT PLANNING TO USE THIS TRUCK REGULARLY. It is a toy. Plain and simple. I have an 03 reg cab short bed daily. I want more top end, because right now, THERE ISN'T ANY.

What I need to know is what I need (intake and carb obviously) to make this conversion seamless. What I'm concerned about is the ignition. I know its somewhat computer controlled. So what do I change? I can get by with the small stuff on my own, throttle linkage, vaccum lines, water routing, ext. I just need the basic large item run down really. I'm still learning. :/ I am not afraid to pull this engine to complete this project. I kinda need to anyway bc I butchered the oil pan seal when putting a new timing chain in >_>'

If your curious keep reading:
Reasons for ditching TPI...
1. It's been a non-stop nickel and dime to get it running
2. It NEVER idles properly (IAC will not stop moving)
3. Has a misfire that hasn't gone away since day 1 (even after rebuild)
4. NO HP, ALL TQ (I can build the TQ back with a larger cam)
5. Because I want too.

If I seem kinda in everyone's face about this, it's because I have had little luck with the forum communities recently. Everyone is just not answering my questions and getting into pointless opinion battles instead. I'm frustrated. HELP PLEASE THANK YOU

Old 03-30-2014, 12:07 AM
TruckForum Addict

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ms...make/chevrolet
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-6425/overview/

There's your ignition. Get creative with intake/carb selection. Gauges and sensors are up to you. Sounds like you've build cars like this before without using any factory computer type stuff. Normally on an 88/89 pickup there would be a factory computer that sends out signals to the gauges on the cluster.

I won't tell you what to do, but your best option for a carb engine is using an MSD ignition, and a carb of your selection.