Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

'88 k1500 TPI dies randomly HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Beginner
Exclamation '88 k1500 TPI dies randomly HELP

I have a TPI 383 stroker in my 1988 k1500. My father built the engine years ago. Recently as I have been restoring the truck, the engine has developed a habit of shutting off randomly at idle, and occasionally sputtering during driving. It has a mildly spasmodic idle at times. Sometimes, the truck won't start AT ALL. When it dies at idle, it will not start back up without me messing with wires under the hood. IE: coil wires, plug wires, ICM wires ext... eventually, it will start again, but dies after 2 minutes of idle. I have replaced the Coil, and ICM in the distributor, and cleaned the IAC in hopes of fixing the problem, even added a bigger air filter. Nothing helped. I can't be sure if it's the fuel system, because I can hear the pump running to prime the system upon turning the key. The filter hasn't been replace for over 10 years(it sat for those years) But I have reason to believe it is loosing spark as my friend told me he checked it once when it died at his house, and it had no spark. I've been at this for months. Please, anything you can say might help!

Old 10-04-2011, 04:38 PM

You can check the injectors with a set of noid lights to see if they're firing properly. I'd definitely change the fuel filter and check the fuel pressure at the rail. Just because you hear the pump run doesn't mean it's working up to spec. You mention wiggling wires, I'd go through and check grounds in case theres an issue there.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Beginner

I went through and checked all the grounds and DID find that the ground off the tank was loose and corroded. I cleaned it up and tightened it. That did help the idle a little but it still stalled. So I OHMs tested my pick-up coil. It got 786 consistently so it was fine. I just finally gave up and put an old ICM in it and took the new one out. started right up and hasn't stalled since. I think ill be returning that new ICM. Thanks for the help!!