Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

91 Silverado restoration project

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Default 91 Silverado restoration project

Hey all,
Just signed up. Loved Chevy's all my life. First vehicle was a 78' Silverado, had a couple of late 80's model S-10's too.

Currently have a 91 Silverado (V8,350) that I've had since 94. Been a great truck drove it everyday and kept it up untill 03'. I have a long commute. Its been a farm/fishin/trips to Lowes truck ever since not beat up but not really taken care of like it should have been. It needs new paint, light body work, but its basically mechanically sound was rebuilt 40,000mi's ago.

Anyway, its time to get her back in shape and after a $3000 estimate on a paint job I decided it would be a good DIY family project.

The paint is peeling off everywhere, some old hail damage helped it out. We've been sanding on it for a couple of days now and I'm thinking about using stripper on it. I assume that I would need to take all the trim off to do that, which finally leads to why I'm here.

Whats the best method to take off the trim and will I be able to reuse it?

I'm sure this is just for starters because I'm new to this kind of work. Thanks for any help.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:07 PM

You should be able to reused all the trim, I don't think there is anything on there that would break taking it off. If it has body side moldings, those might get ruined if your not careful taking them off. I know some of them have a metal strip built in and if you just pull them off and the metal bends, they are tough to get straight again. Welcome to the site. There are a ton of people on here that can help you out.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:04 PM

I'm new here as well found your post doing a Google search for 91 Chevy truck restoration.Your truck sounds like my 91 Ext.Cab, it has a rebuilt 350 as well as a rebuilt tranny both with under 5,000 miles on the rebuilds..Getting ready to do the body now,needs cab corners both sides and a front drivers fender,other than that just minor stuff around rear wheel wells..Let us know how it goes with your truck.