Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

98 k1500 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Default 98 k1500 starting problems

i know less about computers than i do about trucks so please be patient. the truck first felt as if the battery was dead. while waiting on a friend to jump me i gave it one more "what the hell" turn of the key and it started like it was new. a couple times since it has shut off while driving only to restart when i turned the key. today i got in it and it is dead again, no electrical service at all but plenty power in the battery. the only other developement is that the "remote function actuator module" is clicking under the dash. i replaced it and the new one is clicking like the first one. i have not changed the ignition switch because that "shouldn't" stop all power from getting to the cab. i also checked all fuses in the cab and under the hood and they were all ok. please help! thanks, a.powell

Last edited by a.powell; 11-01-2011 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

The first thing I would check is the battery connections. Pay close attention to the positive terminal. If it is the original it has 2 terminals connected together with the battery bolt. The bolt can feel tight, but you may still be able to wiggle the terminals - if so you need to replace the center spacer that goes between them. They are available at most auto parts stores in the battery section. They are made of lead and after years of tightening they actually get squished down to where they aren't as thick as they were originally. This causes the battery bolt to bottom out so it feels like it is tightened, but it actually isn't holding the terminals tight. If they are good look at where they are connected to the starter and the ground to the frame/engine block. There also should be a ground going from the cab to the frame on the passenger side near the rear of the engine. Good luck!