Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

98 Silverado performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Default 98 Silverado performance

I just bought a 98 silverado with a 5.7 and im looking to give it a 4" lift with off road tires. Does anyone have suggestions on the best set up as far as brands and what size tires go good on a 98? Also im looking to run Flowmaster dual exhaust and i was wondering if anyone had experience with putting duals on a 98 and what kind of set up they use. I want to go true but i may use a dual in dual out to save some $$. Also i want to get off road or high performance headers any suggestions?? And if anyone has quick HP suggestions that would be cool too.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:25 AM
Default RE: 98 Silverado performance

Good ole 350ci, man it brings back memories.Anyway, I currently have a 2001, but I previously owned a 95 Z-71 so I'll speak from my experience. As far as lifts, I had a 6" Rancho suspension lift. Rancho is a great and it lasts a long time. As far as tires, I had 35" BF Goodrinch MT's. It is a very aggressive tread which performs remarkably well in the mud, plus it is a good highway tire as well with minumum noise.

On my 95, I had hooker headers with two 40 series flowmasters. It was loud as hell and I gained about 10 horsepower when I put it on. You can do true duals, but it is going to cost you little money. There is nothing wrong with a cat-back system in my opinion. As far as headers, it is all depending on how much money you want to spend. Hookers will cost you, but they perform well and last a long time. If you want to spend less but still have decent quality, check out Pacesetter headers. They will cost you a fraction less than the other name brands such as Hooder or Elderbrock.

So now you want some quick horsepower tips! Well, the exhaust is going to reduce a lot of back pressure, so you'll see some noticable gains in that department. In addition, the headers will give you 15-30 horsepower, but it's all depending on different circumstances. Next, I would do a cold air intake and a throttle body spacer. You will have significant gains with all the above mentioned.

The 350ci is a great engine and there is so much you can do to it as far as horsepower is concerned. When you get more money, think about roller rocker cams, MSD ingnition upgrade, and the list goes on! About four months before I sold my 95, my best friend and I bored the engine from a 350ci to a 383ci.I was very fortunate because he owned a shop with all the accersories to get the job done. Man, let me tell, boring to a 383ci will plant your *** in the seat when you press the accelerator. When I sold the truck I was producing approximately 430 hp and 450 ft/lb of torque.

Lastly, just remember to take your time and investigate options in order to make a sound decision. I know you want to get all of your goodies as soon as possible, but don't sacrifice quanity for quality. It took me about three years do get all my stuff for my 95. But hell, if you have the money, go buck wild!! I wish you the best of luck and congratulations on your new truck. Remember, have fun with it, that is what it's all about!