Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

'99 Tahoe - No power to compressor clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
I would lean towards the control panel then. I just did one and when the relay is bad there is still power to the cycling switch, but no power to the compressor. Mine was a bad relay. Do you have power to the cycling switch?
Theres no power to the cycling switch, which leads me to believe that it is either the control panel OR the wiring between the control panel and the beginning of the switch circuit (low pressure, high pressure, cycling).

I have learned that the bottom wire (light green) in the long harness that plugs into the control panel is the wire that sends power out to the switches, and should be ~12 volts, or battery voltage. I am a little confused on the best way to test this - do I just take the voltage on the copper film on the "pcb ribbon" (or whatever it is) that folds into the unit and makes contact between that light green wire and black ground, when the harness is plugged in?

I hope that makes sense if you haven't seen the back of one of these. There is a flimsy piece of plastic on which the copper contacts lay, and the tension put on it when the harness is plugged in lines each copper pad with its respective wire. I know functionally it makes sense to measure this way, but it just seems strange. If that little copper pad is getting voltage with the A/C button pushed in, then I know that something is either jacked with the wiring between the dash and the series of switches, or the PCM is messing up.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:33 AM

how about putting refrigerant in. if i read your story right. if the compressor is kicking on but the air ain't cold enuff. it needs refrigerant. worked for me.