Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

ABS problem.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Default ABS problem.

Hey there,
Lately I've ran into a braking problem with my truck that I need some help diagnosing. Sometimes when I'm coming to a stop sign at maybe 10 mph my ABS will kick in for no reason at all. Sometimes the ABS light is on when it happens, sometimes it's not. Sometimes the ABS light comes on and nothing happens. Sometimes the ABS light and E-brake dummy light come on at 35pmh and my speedo reads 0 while my tranny clutches in and out. After reading up Iv'e seen that the common problem is a sensor. I was told to check my wheel bearings, all good. I guess the next step would be to unhook my front ABS sensorsand see if it stops. Anyone have any ideas? I fear it's the 500$+ module but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Default RE: ABS problem.

For the ABS, clean you wheel speed sensors. I think I remember there being a regional recall on the ABS systems. If you lived in an area that uses a lot of salt on the roads the sensors rust and trip the ABS. The e-brake light coming on is weird though.

I'm not sure what to say about the speedo problem.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:54 AM

I'm pretty sure that I can locate the front sensors, but where is the rear one? I heard it was on the diff.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:52 PM

The rear one should be the speed sensor that will be located on the tail shaft of the transfer case. If that is it, which it sounds like it is (because of the speedo going bonkers), than it is a really easy fix of just replacing the sensor. That speedo sensor is also the rear ABS sensor. Make sure that you get the right one, there are a number of combos that have different sensors. So I would buy a new one, they are pretty cheap. After that is replaced, I would check the front HUBS, not the bearings. The hubs have the sensor and contact points. Clean the sensor and contact points with some Brake clean. Then make sure that the hubs are not worn out like mine were.

I have already been through this type of problem, except that mine didn't have anything wrong with the speedo. So mine ended up being the driver side hub. I replaced it and voolla it's fixed!

Well good luck on your fix.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:55 PM

Wow, thanks thathelpsa lot. Now I need to find the enthusiasm to climb under there and start checkin stuff...lol.