Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

AC recharge question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 02:12 AM
Default AC recharge question

I am trying to add some freon to my sons 2001 Silverado 2500 HD. It has a Vortec 6.0. I remember there was 2 wires connected to the side of the dryer on my 86 that I could jump together to turn the compressor on so that it would suck more freon in. I dont see anything loke that on this 01. can anyone help a guy out here and tell me if and how I can get this compressor turned on? I cant get enough in it right now to get it to cycle automatically. Thanks.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:59 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

it should be close to the dryer I think they switched to being on the low side line instead of the dryer itself....a quick trip to the parts store will tell you what it looks like......but if the A/C system is that low then there is a leak and that needs to be fixed first

Old 03-06-2009, 02:38 PM

Yea, I figured there was a leak. The stuff i bought has that dye in it so you can find it. Need to know if it is the compressor or just a hose. I dont know how long the system has been non-functional because he just bought the truck. Needless to say, I looked everywhere and didn't see anything on the lines, no hanging wires needing to be hooked up, I'm stumped.

Last edited by brian7743; 03-06-2009 at 02:40 PM.