Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Acessory port

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Default Acessory port

ok I have 05 silverado i have apower problem with the acessory port I ran a 12volt air comp and blew a fuse some where. I have checked all the fuses under the hood as well as the fuses in the cab On the drivers side dash location. as per the owners man. Is ther an inline fuse in the port? the port losation is below the radio to the left. I have power to the lighter(which is above the ashtray for those that may wonder if I know the diff between them) just though I ask before I tear into the dash.I had posted in here in the past and had great results with a cd player problem I had.
Thx for any input

Old 07-02-2008, 03:44 AM
Default RE: Acessory port

its in the underhood box...there are 2 to check...cigar lighter,and power aux

Old 02-06-2010, 04:10 PM

I know this thread is a year and a half old but I was having the same problem and came upon it in a search of the archives. THOUGHT I had a bad fuse. Looked at both fuse blocks and checked the accessory power fuse and it was good. So here I go. I pulled out the upper and lower dashes to get to the port so I could remove it and check it. It refuses to come out. I traced the wires back to a connector that was attached to it and the cig lighter. Found 12V there so I guess the fuses are good. Put it all back together and still no joy. Cig lighter works just fine. I'm running my CB radio out of it. If I change recepticles it doesn't work. I put my meter on it an do not get any voltage either with the switch on or off. Do these acc'y ports require a special connector? The book says the lighter will not work in it. Still don't understand why I don't see any voltage there though. Hope somebody reads this LOL. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:58 PM

If the fuses are good (for sure) and there is no voltage in the plug, you must have a broken wire or one pulled out of a plug. I wouldn't know anything else to do but "pin" the wire to see where the voltage is lost. By pinning, I stick a pin through the insulation to the conductor to get my meter to read the voltage. If you're careful, you won't hurt the wire but a piece of tape will cover the hole if it concerns you. I would start right on the back of the plug to make sure it's OK and then work from there. Good luck.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:18 AM

Good idea, I may try that but it has a connector further down the line between it and the cig lighter. I checked for voltage at that point and it was good. I did it that way because I couldn't reach the pins on it. You're idea is a good one, it will put me closer to the problem. Do you know if these acc'y ports use a different male connector other than the every day acc'y plug? The one I have wired to the CB works in the cig lighter but not the acc'y outlet. They share a common ground but when I put the meter probe on the center conductor I get nothing. This is getting frustrating AAARRRGGGHHH! :-) Thanks

Old 02-07-2010, 02:16 PM

I don't have a cigarette lighter but two accessory plugs. I use them for my GPS and cell phone charger. They are just standard plugs as far as I can tell. Let us know what you find.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by SlimJim
I don't have a cigarette lighter but two accessory plugs. I use them for my GPS and cell phone charger. They are just standard plugs as far as I can tell. Let us know what you find.
Due to the cold weather, I'm going to take a break from this for a few days. In the mean time I'll be going to my local truck stop and get some "real" acessory plugs to see if that makes a difference. I need to get a maintenance manual akso. Any idea where to get one cheap, like a free download?
Thanks
Steve

Old 02-17-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Argon
its in the underhood box...there are 2 to check...cigar lighter,and power aux
Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! I've been trying to find the cause of my middle and left port failure for too long to admit. I figured "CIG" ran all three, but found it strange that the right port worked. The "AUX PWR" to the right of the "AC" underhood fuse was blown. This is on a 2000 Silverado...

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Default Update

Turns out mine was never broke. When I put my GPS in it, it worked. Still doesn't work with my old cig adapter. Still don't understand why I could not find any voltage there like I can the cig lighter though. Must be a different design that doesn't make a connection with the old style adapter. I don't know, I'm so confused but it works and I'm leaving it alone. On the bright side I learned how to remove the dash! Thanks for all the input. You guys rock.