Ford F-150 Forum Discuss the Ford F-150 here.

EGR Port Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Default EGR Port Cleaning

Hi. I'm new here to this forum so please bear with me if this has been discussed to death. I have a 2002 F150 with the 4.6 engine. The CEL light is on so I changed the EGR valve (as per Autozone DTC) and cleared the light but it came right back. I've heard that there are a couple of EGR ports in the throttle body that stop up and cause it to throw the same code. My problem is that the discharge side of the EGR doesn't go to what I thought was the throttle body. I thought the throttle body was the part with the venturi. My EGR doesn't go anywhere near that part but instead feeds into the engine just above the intake manifold. Just looking at it, it looks like I'd half to remove half the engine to get to where the ports may be. Doesn anybody have any words of wisdom or links to sites that can point me in the right direction?
Thanks!

Old 03-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Default RE: EGR Port Cleaning

If you can find a product called "Seafoam", it is an ethyl ether based cleaner you can spray into your intake, let it sit for a bit, and it dissolves up gooey deposits that block stuff like EGR ports. Then you start your truck and it poops all the "foam" out the back end. I have seen it used lots on import engines, so I cannot see why it would be different for truck engines.

You will especially get bad deposits if the postive crankcase ventilation (PCV) is upstream from other holes in your air intake. One trick you can use to filter out the oily goo, and water condensates, from your PCV line is to put a filter on the PCV hose. I used a water-trap style from a refridgerator condenser setup, but you have to remember to empty the little bucket of goo every now and then, or else it just gets sucked up into your engine.