Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

acetone and fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 08:37 AM
Default RE: acetone and fuel mileage

I am glad to hear alot of responses on this one. I hope Regal will respond since he was going to use it in his truck, and I would like to see the results. So do you guys think it may be safe to run it every other tank, or maybe one tank then let 4-5 tanks run through then try again? I can't afford to screw up my truck. Also with this "supposed" increased milage do you think you will lose HP? Cause you know I can't have a yota beating me off the line just cause I get 25 mpg. Ha!!

Old 09-29-2007, 03:50 PM

Tried it this morning. 3oz for 12 gallons of gas. I went with about half a tank in case it ran like crap I could dilute it with more gas. Little more spunk but barely noticable. No noticable gain in torque. I haven't driven enough to see the effect of gas milage but Im driving it alot tonight so I'll find out. It did clean the varnish off the filler valve and the surrounding area when I pured it in.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:51 PM

I have actually tried this and didnt see any gains in millage or HP. It actually seemed more a waist of my time to put it in. And i was worried about spilling it on my paint and ruining my truck. But one of my buddies tried it in his older model jeep cherokee and he said he noticed some gains in millage enuff to keep using it any way that is. i dont know anything about it ruining the insides of fuel system or anything but that is also a reason for my stopping.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:45 PM

i tried this way back when i firwst read it, and got exactly the same mileage (14), but that was with the old engine too

Old 10-01-2007, 05:49 PM

Im three days into the acetone treatment and the damn thing is running pretty good. It seems to run smoother now, but that could just be from cleaning out the varnish from the fuel system and carbon from the engine. I don't think its causing me to get better gas mileage but something cool happened this morning. Usually I start my truck and just go. If I punch it up the hill it bogs a little until the fan speeds up and it warms up. Well this morning I punched it and I laid tire up the street. Once it warmed up tho, it was pretty much normal. Its supposed to break the surface tension of the gas, I think it works. The newer 8s run pretty efficiently so it probabaly wouldn't effect ours as much as an older 8.
Fuel mileage: No
Performance: Hardly Noticable
Run all the time: No, but will do this instead of fuel system cleaners.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:24 AM

Yeah..ok ..can't you recognize an internet hoax??.

first,The surface tension of gasoline is moot once it's injected into a hot cylinder. When the fuel hits that hot cylinder, it's immediately vaporized.If,as this clown states,wet,unburnt fuel went past the rings,you'd have several barrels of gasoline in your oil by 3000 miles...The website even mis-spells "
Dimethylketone)..its 2 words,not 1.

But I've also heard that a couple of drops of Visine in the washer fluid also keeps your windshield cleaner.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:49 AM

So if its a hoax, why acetone? It wasn't the fuel milage increase that I expected as much as the cleaner burn that I was after. Do I think this will really get me 25mpg? No, but I figured if worst come to worse, I could at least get some sh*t cleaned out of my fuel system. I went light on it so Im not so worried about corrosion, I tried using it to remove paint off an old car part with the same mixture I put into the truck, didn't do anything. I think its too diluted to kill the rubber gaskets (not yet anyways). But I keep reading about it on the web and I think Im done with it for fear of long term problems.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:21 AM

Ok got gas this morning and just got to work. Did the math. No increase or decrease in gas milage. It runs pretty much the same as it did with out the acetone. It still runs smoother so I think it did clean it up a bit. Other then that, it didn't do anything.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:20 PM

Visine in washer fluid, acetone in fuel, sawdust in the tranny........

My father-in-law still puts 1-2 mothballs per 5 gal in his racecars.

In a light vehicle gains may be visible, however, it will take more than 2-3 points to make a difference in a 5400lb truck.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:09 PM

I read the articles. It appears this only works in poorly constructed vehicles. Sorry guys, it won't work in a chevy with less than 100,000 miles that has never been serviced. Seriously,the articles state that acetone works by providing a longer combustion cycle to completely harness the fuel in the cylinder. If you drive a quality vehicle that was engineered properly you are unable to benefit because your fuel is already obtaining a complete burn. Funny, mid to late '90s fords appear to gain the most from acetone. Fords and Dodges make good test subjects, like roaches, cause no one cares if you kill them.

Quick Reply: acetone and fuel mileage