Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Advice&Guide for stereo installs / Disassembly guide for 07 Silverado

Old 10-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Default Advice&Guide for stereo installs / Disassembly guide for 07 Silverado

Hey, I'm installing a stereo in a Chevy Silverado '07 Extended Cab for the first time.

Are there any good audio installation guides for installing setups in general?

And are there also any disassembly guides for silverados? The part I'm most worried about is getting the actual car apart.

Do you have any advice or links for a first timer?

Experience: Electrical Engineer major. First car installation.
Parts:
500W Amplifier
2x 6.5 240W Speaker
2x 10" RMS Single Loaded Sub
Antenna Adapter
Chevy Deck Converter
KDHDR60 JVC Single Deck Stereo
Deck Hookup Kit
Amp Power Kit
Thanks!! Looking forward to the new setup!

Old 10-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

You may need a higher amp alternator if you want the full of that set up. I have some charts for you to make your settings on the amps so you dont blow your speakers.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:19 AM

Damn ok. So maybe everything doesnt need to run off the amp then.

Just real quick. Stupid question, but just want to confirm.

Can you tell me the order Im supposed to hook everything up with? Is everything supposed to connect to the amp, or is only the subwoofer supposed to connect to the amp.

I was thinking it was either like this:
Head Unit->Amp->(Sub)&(Front Speakers)&(Rear Speakers)
http://zenn.tripod.com/jazz/system.gif

Or Like this:
Head Unit->(Front Speakers)&((Amp)->(Subwoofer)&(Rear Speakers)
http://www.nax.com.au/main/GraphicsFAQ/Layout4.PNG

The Deck has: Sub Out (Left and Right), Front Line Out (Left and Right).
The Amp has: Audio In (Left and Right), Speaker Out (Left and Right)

Thanks! Once I get the order setup and figure out how to remove the deck, I should be good!

Old 10-21-2010, 12:14 PM

Hey, I forgot to mention.

The amp is a MRP-M500. Mono Power Amplifier with a channel 1 (left) and channel 2 (right) input in the back.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:49 PM

Ok if thats the only amp you have then it used only for subs. You will need another amp for your mids and highs, a 4 channel amp. I hav Alpine so I can tell you the best ways to hook them up.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:04 AM

okay cool, sweet.

i got the door and deck off earlier today but it got dark, so i stopped. ill finish it tomorrow.

I have pictures of the parts im unsure of. mainly from my amp power kit and something called a stereo replacement interface. i REALLY wish there was someone near me that could do this, but sadly i live in an isolated area. anywho, let me see if i got this right. Correct me if im wrong if you dont mind.

http://crewxp.com/truck/IMG_0068.JPG

^Above is a picture of my amp kit. The blue wire looks like the wire I run to my battery from my amp. I'll most likely have to find the 'firewall' on the truck and drill a small hole, making sure i dont drill through the wrong spot. then hook it up. the clear wire looks like the remote wire? I run that from my deck to amp. The Black Kicker box goes in my hood somewhere, near the battery.

http://crewxp.com/truck/IMG_0069.JPG

^Above is the stereo replacement kit they gave me. Not sure what to do with this. My guess is that if something doesnt git behind the deck, use the connectors to convert it? There looks like a box with a speaker on it as well. weird.

http://crewxp.com/truck/IMG_0076.JPG

^Above is just for reference. Its the back of my deck. Not sure which one is the 'remote' though. Speakers hookup in the 16 pinned one. Sub in the sub out, nothing in the front line out. then hook whatever wires were hooked up in the factory deck into this one.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:43 AM

Do you have Onstar?

Also, the small box with the little speaker is probably there because in newer GM cars/trucks when you remove the factory radio, you will lose the sounds for seatbelt reminder, forgot to shut off headlights or turnsignals etc. It is the radio that generates and the left front speaker/tweeter that plays those reminder sounds. That box will allow you to retain the sounds.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:55 PM

cool thanks for the explanation. i think i know what everthing does now. does my idea of what to do look right? the only thing i have left to figure out is where to run the amp wire.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:56 PM

The blue wire with the white stripe coming off the deck is the remote power wire for the amp. Looks like everything is else is plug and play.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Okay. I got everything almost installed. The only thing I have left to do is hookup the receiver, run the RCA cable to the amp, then run the RCA cable from the amp to the two subs.

I have a quick question though. Each sub has a left and right input. So thats four total RCA inputs (2 left and 2 right). The Receiver only has a left out and right out to the sub (Red and white). How do you suggest I hook them up?

is it okay to only use the left of the left subwoofer, and the right of the right sub? Or should I split them all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice&Guide for stereo installs / Disassembly guide for 07 Silverado