Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Afm

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Beginner
Default Afm

HI

I have a NEW 2013 ext cab 5.3 4x4 auto

Now I have 4000 miles on it and have some concerns on cold start up lifter noise.
If I don't use it for 2 or more days in 30* weather, I'll hear lifter noise on start up! Goes away in a second or two

Is this common for the AFM lifters to leak down that way?

I don't like to hear metallic noises on an engine that has 4k miles on it.
I changed oil 2x in 3800 miles so its as clean as a whistle

ALSO
If I watch the tach and move rpm 1k to 1.5k or any other rpm range, there is a lag.... the response is poor.... for a modern day motor

Could it be that the lifters don't hold the oil causing a retarded condition or late cam timing which leads to the hesitation???

this past summer I talked the dealer that sold it to me and said its normal?!

If that was the case I should of kept my dinosaur 2000 SD 7.3

I was a previous Ford owner I hope I don't regret it

Thanks for your time
TOM

Old 02-06-2014, 11:04 AM
TruckForum Addict

If you're hearing lifter noise, call the dealer back and see if they can hold into it for a while so that the lifters can leak down again. Have them figure out which ones are noisy. There is a bulletin saying that trucks build on or before July 8, 2013, and noisy lifters are found and repaired, there is possibly an ECM calibration update that will also solve a possible P0300 code in the ECM.

So my recommendation is to take it to them and be patient and wait and see if they can find out which lifters are noisy.

As far as the lag, that's due to the throttle by wire system that's used on every new vehicle. You'l find that in every new Silverado. Please just be patient with them and work with them to see if they can fix your lifter issue.

I personally love the new Silverados and am trying to save my pennies for a crew cab 4x4. Welcome to the site!

Old 02-06-2014, 03:11 PM

Blusilver13,

Hello! I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I am happy assist you in getting your vehicle into the dealership to have this issue diagnose. Please private message me referencing this thread if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Old 02-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Beginner
Default Afm

Originally Posted by GM Customer Service
Blusilver13,

Hello! I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I am happy assist you in getting your vehicle into the dealership to have this issue diagnose. Please private message me referencing this thread if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care
Hello Jennifer T
How to PM on this site.. I do not have a header that shows PM nor in the cp thanks Tom

Old 02-06-2014, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Move your cursor over the user's name that you want to Private Message.
In this case move your cursor over GM Customer Service and click on their name.
A drop down menu will appear. Select Send Private Message

Old 02-07-2014, 09:38 AM

Afm,

If for some reason you find that you cannot private message me on the forum, you may also contact me via email at socialmedia@gm.com and put “Attention Jennifer” in the subject line.

Looking forward to assisting you,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Old 02-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Beginner
Default Afm

Thanks for all of your help