Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Another exhaust thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator
Default Another exhaust thread

I know this has probably been beat to death, but I was wondering if anyone has actually noticed perfromance gains from a CAT back system? I have a 2002 HD truck with a 6.0. It is stock with the exception of a Black Bear computer tune. I am looking for a little extra power and DO NOT want an obnoxiously loud system I also do not want to lose any torque. So if anyone has added an exhaust system that has given both HP and Torque gains please respond and let me know what you have. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:09 AM

Have you though of trying headers...? You can get them for a pretty reasonable price...

Old 07-08-2009, 12:30 PM

I have never really been a header fan on a daily driver. They always seem to either leak or burn up plug wires. I just want to get a little better sound and gain a little power and torque. I am actually leaning towards a 70 series flowmaster, but wanted to see if anyone else could lead me elsewhere. Thanks for the input!

Old 07-08-2009, 02:54 PM

My favorite muffler is Borla ProXS. Reasonable price and great sound.

The headers for our trucks don't have any problems with leaking (they have thick flanges) or burning plug wires.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:08 PM

I see you have 05 E-fans listed on your truck. How hard were they to wire up? Did they bolt right on? Any drawbacks?

Old 07-08-2009, 05:13 PM

They bolt right in. There are no drawbacks - only benefits. I'm not the best with wiring, but basically they're wired into an ignition fuse, so key on = fans on.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
I know this has probably been beat to death, but I was wondering if anyone has actually noticed perfromance gains from a CAT back system? I have a 2002 HD truck with a 6.0. It is stock with the exception of a Black Bear computer tune. I am looking for a little extra power and DO NOT want an obnoxiously loud system I also do not want to lose any torque. So if anyone has added an exhaust system that has given both HP and Torque gains please respond and let me know what you have. Thanks in advance!
I put the cat back system on my truck and i love it! its not too loud but, it not to quiet too.. its just right..

i have noticed since putting it on that my engine runs better, it seems more ready to get up and go. also, i noticed that i get a little better fuel milage with it too.

Im not gonna say its the best system known to man but, its pretty dang good. its def. a big improvement over my old system.. then of course, that one was put on by the previous owner Mr.Shadetree Mechanic with the "lets weld pipes together and call it exhaust" work..lol

Old 07-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

It does improve torque but more on the top end on these motors. You will lose a little low end. Mine is straight flow, no cats, magnaflow muffler, with my own made venturi to create back pressure. The venturi helped a lot. Im gonna run it at the track this weekend to see how much Ive improved in the 1/4 mile. Stock ran 16.2 Hoping to see a high 14. We will see!!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 AM

Thanks for your honesty, I use this truck to pull a trailer and a boat around so I want to keep all the torque I can.