Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Bad Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:17 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by SlimJim
I had one bouncing real bad several years ago. Had the tires balanced....no help. I had someone watch my tires while I drove down the interstate. One was obviously bouncing badly. It turned out to be a slipped belt in the tire. When they balanced it (bubble balancer) they had to put a huge weight on one tire. Should have be a tip off but they replaced the tire...no charge. Good luck.
I think I might be in the same boat. I noticed when the guy was balancing the tires (on the bubble balancer) he called one of the other guys over who seemed like he was a manager or something and they ended up putting one of the biggest weights I have ever seen on one of the wheels. Thanks...I am off to get a high speed balance and hopefully won't be bouncing all the way home!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 02camarossle
i bet it's the balance of the tire... a bubble balancer is 70's - 80's technology... you need to go to a major tire shop like discount tire and have them spin balance your tires, BUT you should still replace your bushing and what not seeing how it's 15 years old...
You win! I just got back from the tire shop and after explaining everything to the guy there he didn't believe that it was the tire balance either. So we (he let me in the shop to go over everything with him) put it on a lift and started checking everything out. After about an hour of checking ball joints, tie rods, u-joints, driveshafts, driveshaft center bearing (where the 2 driveshafts come together), rear axle, and drums I finally convinced him to put the wheels and tires on the balancer. BAM that did it. They were all WAY off and one wheel had 8 ounces of weight on the inside and none on the outside. He pulled all the weights off that one and it only took .75 outside and .25 inside. The guys that installed these tires should be horse whipped! Well, lesson learned - I don't feel bad because everything I replaced tested weak anyway especially the shocks and the pitman arm. So my truck is road ready now, even though I could really stand a set of new tires these will have to do for a few months.

Thank you to everyone for their input - it is much appreciated!

Old 05-27-2010, 04:56 PM
TruckForum Addict

Lesson learned.... Do not rely on a bubble balancer, get the tires computer balanced.