Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Battery Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:25 AM
Default Battery Issues

Last weekend we had one of the spur of the moment driveway/backyard parties as usual just like any other one that takes place maybe once a month. I had my 2005 Silverado playing music as always without the truck running. Granted I had my amp and subs turned on just as always, but the battery died probably an hour, maybe two, before I usually start the truck to charge the battery back up. (NOTE: Battery is original and I have never had the battery die) I charged the battery everything back to normal right? WRONG!!

It has now been one week exactly. My radar detector has a menu that shows the current voltage of the electrical system. Leaving school this evening the radar detector was beeping "Voltage Low" but I was able to start the truck with the ominous slow growling crank. On the ride home, the system was bouncing around 14.2V and 14.4V(Alt evidently working) When I got home and turned the truck off it was showing about 10.3 volts, so I decided to put it on the charger trickling 2 amps.

I came back 20 minutes later to find the vents were smoking and fluid on the return hose for the radiator from the block. I checked the voltage and it was 13.1 volts. When I turned the KEY (not the engine) on to maybe to drain some juice with all lights and radio for a minute or two the smoking and bubbling sound ceased.

I turned everything off and was reading 11.4 volts...NORMAL!! When I turned the truck on it was reading 15.1 volts at idle. it usually reads about 13.5 to 13.8 at idle.
------------------------------------------------------------
After a week of driving, why would the voltage be low still? I have drained batteries left and right with my other Chevrolet and they continue to function properly with years of service.

Did I just overcharge it causing it to vent and it should be OK?

I understand it's at least 6 years old but I know it should still have plenty of life. I really do take care of the battery and should not be having any problems.

Should I take precautionary road and just go get it replaced. AC Delco battery is champ compared to other alternatives but more expensive.

Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks in advance... I feel pretty retarded seeing as how I can basically write a book on the 5.7L about troubleshooting and replacing whatever, but the easiest and virtually most maintenance free aspect of a vehicle I get stuck on! Never had the my case vent before!

Old 08-21-2009, 07:00 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

"At least 6 years old" - Man that is great for a battery. Especially if your taking it all the way down once a month for your DJ sessions. A deep cycle marine battery may be a little better - they recover alot faster. I have a 200 watt amp in my boat and we "get down" all day with that thing blasting! After the 30 minute ride in to the dock I plug it in to the battery tender and it is back to normal after about 10 minutes. They are interstate batteries. Good Luck!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:33 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

First of all when you charge a battery you should ALWAYS pop the caps.....second what is the water level in the battery?