Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Bedliner, Spray on or Drop in Plastic

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Default RE: Bedliner, Spray on or Drop in Plastic

My '94 had a plastic liner that went under the rails, It didn't rub on them. I had the truck up until just a couple months ago and I took the liner out a few times to clean under it. Sure it rubbed the bed raw, but there wasn't any rust underneath it, just primer/bare metal. It didn't have drain holes in it, and whenever I took off after a hard rain the water would POUR out the back of the truck. Got a few ricers in parking lots wet too .

I've got a plastic one in my current truck, but I'm looking at a Line-X when I get money.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:17 AM

Spray in bed liner! Every truck I had with a plastic drop in liner had the paint rubbed off the bed rails and floor. My first truck's liner even cracked down the middle ( cheap GM factory liner )

Old 08-27-2007, 02:19 PM

go for the spray on, i did the roll on, on my old 92 and it was good and solid for about a year, then it just started peeling off in places. it also faded in color in a matter of 2 or 3 monthes. you get what you pay for i figure tho.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:21 PM

Wow who wolke the dead? Newayz I'm glad to report I love the spray in liner. Wouldn't do it any other way

Old 08-28-2007, 04:21 PM

I also have a drop-in, under the rail liner(in truck at time of purchase). I like it because it keeps me from denting the bed with race parts/etc.. I don't have the rust issues because I have a hinged soft tonneau cover as well. What I DON'T like about a drop-in is the issues of everything sliding around.... I cut a board to the width of the liner(it has recesses for it) and blocked off thelast 1-1 1/2 ft to contain small items.

I WOULD love to have a spray-in liner, I just can't swing it right now. Thanks for the info, guys.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:16 PM

Right off the bat I'll admit I'm biased toward Rhino Linings, I opened the original shop in Sed. MO.

Anyway, here's my opinion; drop in liners are the biggest piece of sandpaper man ever made. The dealer neglected to tell you that your supposed to remove that liner once or twice a year and wash and wax the bed.

The roll on stuff you buy at the discount store is worthless unless you plan to sell the truck and just want the bed looking nice. They blister and peel after about a year.

Line-x is a hard liner that will allow items to slide around your bed like a drop in. I have seen Line-x sprayed on bumpers,brush guards, step bars... and it looked great.

The hard liners, not to pick on any one brand, will not conform to a dent should you drop something heavy in your bed, allowing an air pocket to form, inviting rust.

Rhino liners will conform to these dents and continue to provide protection for your bed.I beleive they are sprayed on the thickest. Should you damage the liner (good luck trying) it is easily repaired by the dealer.My only problem with Rhino Linings is that it's a pain getting heavy items in the bed because they don't slide and removing stuff from the back of the bed because, once again, things don't slide.

The most important thing to know is that the area to be sprayed is prepaired properly otherwise no brand of liner will do its job.
Do your research, ask questions and spend the money, you really do get what you pay for.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:30 PM

Like he said, it's all in the prep work. I have done roll in bed liners on two trucks, one of my own. I like it but if I could do it again I would have preped my truck a little better. It's peeling in the areas that i didn't sand. It's basically a cheap mans rhino lining. If you do do it your self, plan on ruening a pair of pants and possibly getting it on your garage floor. Gasoline works pretty good to get it off, but it takes a lot of it! Good luck.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:54 PM

will the roll on peel away even with a tonneua?

Old 08-30-2007, 02:48 PM

even if it peels you can just reapply it... spray-on or roll-on is WAY better than a drop in... i have the factory drop-in in my 02 and its warped in places and pokes out from the bed side... maybe the west tn heat got to it, but still... 5 years and its shot?

Old 08-30-2007, 04:14 PM

Yeh it may peel in spots that you didn't prep well enuf. As long as you prep good it should stick good. Other than that, you should have it fade too awfully bad. Mine still looks black, I also havea tonneu and the tops of the bed rails are roll on'd and they still look good. Make sure that you wait until it is dry before puttin on the second or third coat. Depending on how thick you want it.

Quick Reply: Bedliner, Spray on or Drop in Plastic