Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

BIG PROBLEMS!

Old 04-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Default BIG PROBLEMS!

hey everyone... hopefully some one can help me on this really quick!

i was cruising home yesterday and i have my camper on the back of my truck. just pulling off the highway.
all of a sudden my truck just randomly revved out huge! then reconnected and went on just fine.... i thought nothing of it maybe some loose rocks or something. (i do need new tires)

anyways.... i pulled into a shop for some camper parts, picked em up and then was cruisin home again! i got about 1/4 mile down the road... and all of a sudden it did it again! but it never reconected and wont. not in low, first, second, reverse NOTHING! i have no movement!

i climbed under the truck and checked all the connections. drive shaft is in place. fluid is full in transmission, diffs are good!

i shut the truck off a few times and put it in drive and it connected for a bit... but really really weak.. then it lost all connection and i was just sittiing there posting some revs!

i called my uncle and he told me to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes ! i did it and got back in.... WOW it connected just fine! like nothing ever happended.... so i figured the computer was a little F-ed Up or something... then 2 minutes later... VROOOOM out of gear!

i had it towed running in neutral to the transmission shop and they are going to take a look at it today! any suggestions???
argon?

thanks guys for the input... i dont know what this is about!

Old 04-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Default RE: BIG PROBLEMS!

MAN,SOUNDS LIKE A PLAIN OLD TRANNY SLIP..I IMAGINE THE CLUTCH PLATES ARE TOAST..

PLEASE...CHECK A DEALERS SERTA PRICE AND WARRANTY BEFORE LETTING A TRANS SHOP GET AHOLD OF YA

Old 04-03-2008, 10:28 AM

its an 04 and i bought it used so there is no warranty left!
what do you think this is going to cost me?

Old 04-03-2008, 11:15 AM
TruckForum Addict

I got a few quotes on rebuilding the 4L60E in the Z28 I used to have and it ranged from $1,500-$2,000. Best bet is to take it somewhere and just ask for an estimate before they do any work. Argon is right though. Ask the dealer about it first cause transmission shops have a tendency of scewin stuff up and "fixing" what ain't broke.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:54 AM

i imagine its in the 2100 range for a new serta unit installed at a dealer,with a 100k warranty...compare carefully

Old 04-03-2008, 12:37 PM

It might be cheaper to switch it out with a new or used one.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:20 PM

I'd agree with everyone else saying that your trans is shot. Ironic that just today we were talking about my managers Ram he had that dropped the trans out at 12k because he didn't turn overdrive off. Another reminder to ALWAYS use the tow/haul(keep overdrive OFF), sucks to hear but lots of people have been there.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:37 AM

the part about disconnecting the battery and it worked temporarily is confusing me...

Old 04-04-2008, 04:12 AM

it just cooled off and got a nut momentarily ,I think

Old 04-04-2008, 05:57 AM

well,whu happened???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BIG PROBLEMS!