Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Bowtie No More (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/bowtie-no-more-2898/)

Bowtie 03-31-2007 10:09 PM

Bowtie No More

Anybody having any exhaust valve problems out there?

A few weeks ago, driving my '03 Silverado 5.3L 4WD to work and it stalls as I pull out from a stopsign, about 2 mi from my house. Won't start - towed it to dealer who checks all the codes and can find nothing wrong initially. 2nd day he calls to tell me 2 valve springs are broken on #2 cylinder. She's 10 months past the 36 mo warrantee but right on the 36,000 mile warrantee but the dealer won't cover it. I contact GM to complain and they finally decide to cover 1/2 the cost. My "share" is $800. I get it back and find out he did nothing to the other 14 springs - just left them in there! For $1600, should they have replaced all 16 springs? Less than 1 week and now it's already idling rough!
Now I feel like I bought a piece of crap and got shafted on the repair as well. I'm the guy who swore I'd never buy foreign but today I was sitting in a Toyota dealership. Bowtie no more!

smoke20 03-31-2007 10:14 PM

RE: Bowtie No More

That sucks dude. But generally those mechanics are just going to fix whats broken now. If it were you or me, then of course we would change them all, but alot of those guys are just looking to make money, and save money by using as few parts as possible. I would try calling GM again and telling them this. Argon may be able to give some help as to who to call. Also Argon, no offense man with what I wrote, I know there are some good and fair mechanics out there, but I unfortunately have dealt with alot of bad ones.

Argon 03-31-2007 10:20 PM

Something is nuts here..it stalls...you mean it died?..ka-put?....would not restart?...

1)I've NEVER seen an exh spring break on these

2)If it did,why did it not restart???

3)..was it wound up tight or anything like that?

4)why on earth was 2 exh springs 1600 bucks??>..no bent valves?

Calmer info,please...

Bowtie 03-31-2007 11:07 PM

I mean it died. Would not start, had to be towed. Dealer service report mentions valve replced due to "flat spot". What does "wound up tight" mean?

If I'm a little upset, it may be because in addition to "my half", I paid all the towing and had no car for 10 days while the dealer and GM talked about what to do. This truck has been pampered like none I've ever had. I told GM going into this that if they did not stand behind this truck that I'd be a gone customer. Not even that phased them. They just do not care and I'm done with 'em.

SC_Chevy_Lover 03-31-2007 11:22 PM

Bowtie, I'm sorry to hear all the problems you are having. It sounds as though you have yourself a real (lemon) of a truck. I've felt the same in the past, but the catastrophic mechanical malfunctions were do to my inability to know when to stop pushing the limits off-road and on the quarter mile. The only thing I ask is to not judge all Chevrolets or the entire GM corporation with your horrific events. It happens, plain and simple. There are lemons that come directly off the factory line! It's going to happen when a vehicle is mass produced. You want to talk about bad luck, you should hear what happen to BigTexasChevy's truck. We are both in the Air Force and stationed in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Anyway, he has a 07 Z-71 and the damn rear end exploded with 7,000 miles on it. I'm not kidding, the rear end literally exploded inside. There was a exit puncture out the pumpkin from one of the gears that was about the sized of a half dollar. It looked like a .50 Cal rifle had shot the damn thing. Anwyay, I go to pick him up and off his BRAND NEW truck went, being towed to the GM dealer. The result, complete drivetrain failure from the tranny back!! Just know that **** happens, and all-in-all, I would take a Chevy over a Toyota or any other truck any day of the week. My intention is not to piss you off, because I do feel for your frustration and problems. I just hope you don't acquire a stereotypical impression of GM products from this incident. Good luck with everything!

Argon 03-31-2007 11:40 PM

I meant was your foot deep in it?..like 7 grand?...I take it that it was not.

Ok..why was this repair 1600 for a valve or 2?..I can't picture it costing over around 600 labor...that leaves a grand for parts

Bowtie 04-01-2007 03:23 PM

This truck has never seen 7 grand - I don't treat my vehicles that way. This one's been even especially pampered because I had planned to keep it longer than the usual 4 years to help my kid pay for education expenses. You're asking me why this repair costs so much - I thought it was because it was going to be done right but not so. I told the GM rep who called me that this better be done right but she let me down and the dealer made his money but it's the last buck they'll see from me. Over the last 15 years, I've see this truck fail at 36K, a buick LeSabre leak tranny fluid all over my new concrete drive because they used plastic fittings instead of metal andmy S10 Blazer fail at 60k because they put an underpowered 2.8L in a 4500 pound vehicle. Every one of these has had at least 1 recall. Meanwhile, they've raked in the profit and overpaid their execs who are making the decisions that shaft us. Over the same period my wife's has 3 Subarus that have performed flawlessly, no recalls no big repairs. She changed to Subaru because her Ford Tempo with 20k on it needed a new front axle and Ford said it was not part of the power train warranty! I was the original "buy American" guy but no more. GM sucks, Ford sucks and Chrysler - I wont even go there. Now I know why everywhere I look I'm seeing foreign cars. It's not because these folks are not patriotic, like I used to think. It's because they don't want to be screwed anymore.

BigTexasChevy 04-01-2007 08:58 PM

WOW what a stereotypical piece of ****! excuse me look up to your browser...hmm should say TRUCKFORUMS .COM....look face it you were dumb enough to get screwed by a dealership that was out of their damn mind to charge you that much in the first place....but somehting else is goign on here if that is what it actually cost...2 valves plus labor DEFINITELY NOT $1600.00.....and if you were past your 36 month warantee...well that means your warantee was up! and dont complain cause i KNOW FOR A FACT that you have been receiving warantee notifications in the mail to extend it! because GM sends 5 notifications to you before it runs out. but you didnt gety it so now you wanna base all chevy's on your impression that your a dumbass and gotscrewed forsome money!! im laughing at that fact....do us all a favor and buy you a toyota, be pleased, and then go to toyota forums and tell eveyone hopw pleased you are...cause i for one and i know most others as well dont give a flying **** about your troubles anymore!

99z71325ci 04-01-2007 11:20 PM

anyone else think this kid isfull of ****??

SC_Chevy_Lover 04-01-2007 11:27 PM

I do! I do!:D

Bowtie 04-01-2007 11:48 PM

Yeah I just looked up at my browser and realized when I joined this forum I joined a group of people with a collective IQ under 50 and fewer teeth than fingers. I can see that by the states you are all from and your Avatars. My intent was to warn others about the crap GM is putting on wheels and how they'returning their backs on their customers. You think any of this aint true - I'll fax a copy of the bill and the service report to anyone of one of who proves they can read. You and GM - you deserve each other.

BigTexasChevy 04-02-2007 12:07 AM

your still here? anyways, most people on this forums are LOVING GM products, and know how to see when they are being ripped off. unfortunatley for you , and you SUPER IQ !! you didnt see it and got screwed. YOU WARRANTY WAS OUT!! YOU HAD TO PAY SO QUIT CRYING! now as for making fun of people on this forum and where we are from, i speak for my self but i know others as well...we are decent working americans who do have jobs, and love our products no matter what problems come. sure we have had our ups and downs with gm some of us...but that is loyalty. so once again go get your toyota and go to another forum... dont forget to get extended warranty that way if it runs out at 3/36 you wont have to pay for something that happened mechanically.

SC_Chevy_Lover 04-02-2007 12:13 AM

You know, it amazes me how stupid some people can be! Hey DUMBASS, once again you can't compare all GM products based on "YOUR" bad luck! Your true colors are coming through my DUMBASS friend. You established a stereotypical impression of people on this forum based entirely on where they are from. Consequently, this proves how ignorant you are and how your "warnings" about GM problems hold no value.If I wereas angry as you, I would be at the Toyota dealership right now looking for a new truck, not bitching about on a forum.

hunt4game29 04-02-2007 12:40 AM

Okay my question guys is why the heckwould you take a truck to the dealer if your warrenty was up. And not take it to a auto shop you trust. I may be wrong but i have always been told that if you go to a dealer with no warrenty your going to pay more then other auto shops.Thats what i did when my Grand amgt valve spring broke bent a rod and valve about a month ago and spent $1100 and im not bitching about gm and itonly had 50,000 miles on it.SoBOWTIE if your so pissed atGM and you screwed upby not getting a extened warrenty sounds like that your fault for taking it to a dealer not GM's Fault so stop bitching.:DThanks

SC_Chevy_Lover 04-02-2007 01:47 AM

AMEN!:D

smoke20 04-02-2007 06:57 PM

Alright guys enough already. Bowtie - if all you are going to do is bash chevy and comlpain this is not the right site for you. I also do not appreciate you trying to put us down. You don't even know any of us, but chose to make claims about our education. I understand you are angry, but don't take it out here unless you are going to listen to advice and reasoning. And to everyone else, just let it go. I know it offends all of us, but arguing with him when he isn't listening is a waste of time. So Bowtie, if you are going to keep insulting folks PLEASE LEAVE NOW. You can find another bitch about chevy site somewhere else. But if you want help and are willing to listen, then stick around, although I think you have already burnt alot of bridges.

Loud2002HD 04-03-2007 02:24 AM

I'll tell you what. You go ahead and buy a Toyota, and one of us with our "crap" (hardly) GM trucks will follow you around and pick up the pieces. Then when the Yota will go no more, we will calmly hook a chain to ya and pull ya right down to the GM dealer and let you buy a real truck again.

I have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD with 130k, and has pulled a trailer 10,000lb plus trailer for more than 90% of its life. I have had minimal trouble with it. I have replaced the radiator, fan, fan clutch, and water pump. (Only because i was being a dumbass and pegging the thr R-limiter at a truck pull) And tonight i replaced my knock sensors. So, in 5 years and 130k I have only spent less than $1000 in parts. And as far as dealership mechanics go.... I don't trust them any further than i can throw them. If you had a mechanical, or ethical brain in your body you would have done the head work yourself. Then it would have been done the way you wanted it, cheaper, and you could have a little pride in saying that you did it yourself.

gm trucker 04-03-2007 10:30 PM

If you think you got problems now wait till you get that toy truck.
If you are looking at the new one I would wait, I hearthe rebates are going to be up to 10,000dollars soon. You'll probably be the first person to have one in your county though!

Don't forget that you're gonna DIE in an accident with it's three piece frame!

I also hope you got deep pockets, because with 4.30 gears you are gonna use a lot of gas, a friend of mine bought one and hauled a trailer 300 miles in Florida, So what kind of mileage did he get? Well let's just say that after 3 stops at the pumps his credit card was shut down because he was going through so much gas in such a short time ( they thought the card was stolen.) TRUE STORY!

Bowtie 04-03-2007 11:25 PM

Well I'll use this last note to answer all your comments.
First, I came here for a little help but mostly to warn others about a potential problem with the Silverado,a problem already with the Colorado that is already all over the internet. What I got was insinuations that I abused the truck and then I got accused of lying! Those of you inclined can go back and read the thread and see for yourself.
I did have the truck towed my mechanic first because the time warranty was up. It was he who diagnosed the problem and it was he who advised me to go to GM for support because he felt that this kind of failure should never happen to a well cared for vehicle with 36k miles on it. He said he'd do the entire valve job for $1100 but told me to giveGM a try.He also told me that he is seeing more and more quality issues with GM and Ford products and feels bad for his middleclass customers. So I took his advice and emailed GM. They called me and said they wouldn't promise any help but they could do nothing until I got it to a dealer - another $75 towing bill. The dealer had it for an entire week, everyday I called and got another story - didn't get to it yet - doing the diagnostics now - sent the heads out for inspection. On and on but no matter how many times I asked - could not get anyone to tell me the cause. Then, after they had the car for 11 days, the dealer called and said that since it was not abuse, GM would pay for 1/2 the valve job and my half was $805 and the car would be ready next day. That's in addition to $250 for my mechanic and towing and having my wife haul my ass to work everyday.
I picked up the truck paid the bill and got the service report. I'm a firefighter, not a mechanic, so I took the report to my mechanic. He looked over the report and the truck and told me from the parts list, the dealer replaced 2 springs and 1 valve and put in new gaskets. Basically slapped a bandaid on it and charged me for the full job. One week later, the piece of crap is missing and sputtering at every stop. This treatment by GM, besides the way I got treated on this forum, is what pissed me off more than the problems with the truck. Yeah, everybody makes lemons but good companies stand behind their products. I stood with GM for more than30 years, even when I knew their quality wasn't what it should have been because I was loyal. Apparently, GM's loyalty is just a little shy of 30 years. If not seeing a crooked dealer coming makes me stupid in your opinion - that's OK - I do tend to trust people but I do know I've been screwed now.You people don't even know you've been screwed and you keep saying how great GM is.
I'm done with this forum because of the way I've been treated here but I will continue to tell everyone who'll listen about how GM treats their very best customers - everytime someone mentions they're looking to buy a car.
And, Oh yeah, I did buy a Toyota tonight before I sat down to write this. I got a nice truck at a fair price and I know it's going to be around, trouble-free for a long time - I've checked into it. Best part is I'll be getting rid of my ****erado, my last GM vehicle - if it runs for a few more days that is.
Don't worry, friends - there are no more American electronics manufacturers left either so now we have quality products that last along time. These fools in Detroit are headed the same direction.
Adios

smoke20 04-03-2007 11:30 PM

gooooooooodbyyyyyyeeeeeee

SC_Chevy_Lover 04-03-2007 11:34 PM

Have a safe trip in your new TOYota!

Bowtie 04-04-2007 12:07 AM

Just when you think you are out, they pull you back in. OK, have a look at my best in class TOYota. You'll be seeing a lot more - their geared up to produce 200,000 a year.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=119089

Maybe you'd better not look

SC_Chevy_Lover 04-04-2007 12:19 AM

"Together, the two U.S. plants can crank out more than 200,000 Tundras per year, about double the current volume."
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=119089

The key word here is can! It doesn't say it will! The new Toyota is indeed a hell of a truck, but it isn't pratical or logical for the middle class working American. The amount of trucks they produce will depend entirelyon their sales and I believe their sales will not be meet their expectations. I also like the name of this article, "The Tundra grows up!" Indeed the Tundra grew up, but so did the price. Man, I wish I wasn't a undereducated redneck from South Carolina, maybe I could afford the Tundra, right Bowtie? I suppose I should strive to be more like you!:D

Bowtie 04-04-2007 12:27 AM

Nah, you just keep on being so friendly - you'll do fine

MrLM7 04-04-2007 12:31 AM

Seriously, good luck with an brand-new design, built in a brand-new facility by a company that has always been known for mass-produced cheap vehicles. Just wait for the recalls.

smoke20 04-04-2007 12:41 AM

Hey SC_CHEVY don't be so hard on us SC rednecks. We can't help the school here only goes to 5th grade, and all the girls are brefoot and pregnant by 12 by their uncle. HA!

SC_Chevy_Lover 04-04-2007 12:44 AM

Hey dammit, I'm proud of my 5th grade education and as far as the girls you were describing, you better stop talking about my sister!:D

smoke20 04-04-2007 12:58 AM

I married both of them so what is the problem? Although I don't understand why none of the kids look like me. And BIG CHEVY you owe me some child support damnit, I have 3 of your kids.

smoke20 04-04-2007 01:09 AM

BOWTIE - Why are you still here? You have a toyota now, so you don't belong here. If you chose to repost then you show you are not convinced by the toyota. If you want you can come crawling back with many apologies. We all know you will return if as you say you are a 30 year chevy man. Although you willnot be welcome, so I suggest a different name.

impaladakid 04-04-2007 07:51 AM

Oh boy.
I seea fewthings wrong with this picture.

1.where is there 3/4 ton and 1 ton and dually?
2. Where is there diesel?
3.As far as sales figures go gm is the only truck manufacturer that has two brands on one truck, Chevrolet and GMC, (well exept for that rebadged f150 lincon marked for death). So if you do the math then gm out sells both ford and dodge and even toyota and nissan.
Gm has proven itself over the years. We shall see if this new toy truck can stand the test of time.
4. Towing is a load of crap too. The silverado is rated at 10,500, toy truck is rated at 10,300, and ford claims 11,000. If you need to pull even 10,000 lbs constantly, you should buy at least a3/4 ton anyway. If my chevrolet is rated at 10,500lbs and I need to pull 11,000lbs, I am pulling 11,000 lbs with the chevrolet. I'm not scared!
5. Price is a factor too. You can get a 2wd 1/2 ton chevrolet work truck for 19k or a 4x4 for around 22k. The toy truck starts at $22,400 for their 2wd work truck.
If you are a yuppy ahole, then you go buy your short bed 4 door toy truckpickup with dvd, and twelve cup holdersso you can look cool at socker practice. But people who work their trucks like I do will buy real trucks.
Don't get me wrong. I do like the the new toy truck, but the 1/2 ton market is only a part of the pie. 3/4 ton trucks are a big segment also. And toyota and nissan just don't offer them.

Bill

scdeerhunter 04-04-2007 08:29 PM

Hey Smoke20,SC_chevy_lover,where in SC do yall live?hell we might be neighbors,i'm in Spartanburg.

smoke20 04-04-2007 08:35 PM

I am a little further south in Charleston. SC_CHEVY is from Conway, but currently is in Wyoming (evidently he got lost on the way home one night, too many tequila shots I guess).

SC_Chevy_Lover 04-04-2007 11:32 PM

Smoke, how did you know? I should have stayed away from that tequila!:D

Anyway, Smokes right, I'm from Conway, SC right out side of Myrtle Beach. Lived there all my life and I miss to death. Like smoke said, I'm currently stationed in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Hopefully I'll be getting back closer to home soon.

smoke20 04-04-2007 11:43 PM

I am the one who kept feeding them to you so I could kick your ass for making me marry your sisters, I just got to drunk and forgot about it.

popo 04-05-2007 12:19 AM

LLLOOOUUUDDD NOISES!:D

SC_Chevy_Lover 04-05-2007 01:10 AM

LMFAO!:D I'm sorry I made you marry them smoke,but who else is going to marry some toothless redneck chicks?:D

smoke20 04-05-2007 01:18 AM

Just the way I like them.

popo 04-05-2007 08:00 AM

I like them with flat heads and a cup holder in stalled on their backs. gotta put my beer some where.

MrLM7 04-05-2007 08:11 AM

If she's really talented, she can twist the cap off without using her hands...

SC_Chevy_Lover 04-05-2007 09:39 AM

Now that is talent!:D