Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Bowtie No More

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Default Bowtie No More

Anybody having any exhaust valve problems out there?

A few weeks ago, driving my '03 Silverado 5.3L 4WD to work and it stalls as I pull out from a stopsign, about 2 mi from my house. Won't start - towed it to dealer who checks all the codes and can find nothing wrong initially. 2nd day he calls to tell me 2 valve springs are broken on #2 cylinder. She's 10 months past the 36 mo warrantee but right on the 36,000 mile warrantee but the dealer won't cover it. I contact GM to complain and they finally decide to cover 1/2 the cost. My "share" is $800. I get it back and find out he did nothing to the other 14 springs - just left them in there! For $1600, should they have replaced all 16 springs? Less than 1 week and now it's already idling rough!
Now I feel like I bought a piece of crap and got shafted on the repair as well. I'm the guy who swore I'd never buy foreign but today I was sitting in a Toyota dealership. Bowtie no more!

Old 03-31-2007, 10:14 PM
Default RE: Bowtie No More

That sucks dude. But generally those mechanics are just going to fix whats broken now. If it were you or me, then of course we would change them all, but alot of those guys are just looking to make money, and save money by using as few parts as possible. I would try calling GM again and telling them this. Argon may be able to give some help as to who to call. Also Argon, no offense man with what I wrote, I know there are some good and fair mechanics out there, but I unfortunately have dealt with alot of bad ones.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:20 PM

Something is nuts here..it stalls...you mean it died?..ka-put?....would not restart?...

1)I've NEVER seen an exh spring break on these

2)If it did,why did it not restart???

3)..was it wound up tight or anything like that?

4)why on earth was 2 exh springs 1600 bucks??>..no bent valves?

Calmer info,please...

Old 03-31-2007, 11:07 PM

I mean it died. Would not start, had to be towed. Dealer service report mentions valve replced due to "flat spot". What does "wound up tight" mean?

If I'm a little upset, it may be because in addition to "my half", I paid all the towing and had no car for 10 days while the dealer and GM talked about what to do. This truck has been pampered like none I've ever had. I told GM going into this that if they did not stand behind this truck that I'd be a gone customer. Not even that phased them. They just do not care and I'm done with 'em.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:22 PM

Bowtie, I'm sorry to hear all the problems you are having. It sounds as though you have yourself a real (lemon) of a truck. I've felt the same in the past, but the catastrophic mechanical malfunctions were do to my inability to know when to stop pushing the limits off-road and on the quarter mile. The only thing I ask is to not judge all Chevrolets or the entire GM corporation with your horrific events. It happens, plain and simple. There are lemons that come directly off the factory line! It's going to happen when a vehicle is mass produced. You want to talk about bad luck, you should hear what happen to BigTexasChevy's truck. We are both in the Air Force and stationed in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Anyway, he has a 07 Z-71 and the damn rear end exploded with 7,000 miles on it. I'm not kidding, the rear end literally exploded inside. There was a exit puncture out the pumpkin from one of the gears that was about the sized of a half dollar. It looked like a .50 Cal rifle had shot the damn thing. Anwyay, I go to pick him up and off his BRAND NEW truck went, being towed to the GM dealer. The result, complete drivetrain failure from the tranny back!! Just know that **** happens, and all-in-all, I would take a Chevy over a Toyota or any other truck any day of the week. My intention is not to **** you off, because I do feel for your frustration and problems. I just hope you don't acquire a stereotypical impression of GM products from this incident. Good luck with everything!

Old 03-31-2007, 11:40 PM

I meant was your foot deep in it?..like 7 grand?...I take it that it was not.

Ok..why was this repair 1600 for a valve or 2?..I can't picture it costing over around 600 labor...that leaves a grand for parts

Old 04-01-2007, 03:23 PM

This truck has never seen 7 grand - I don't treat my vehicles that way. This one's been even especially pampered because I had planned to keep it longer than the usual 4 years to help my kid pay for education expenses. You're asking me why this repair costs so much - I thought it was because it was going to be done right but not so. I told the GM rep who called me that this better be done right but she let me down and the dealer made his money but it's the last buck they'll see from me. Over the last 15 years, I've see this truck fail at 36K, a buick LeSabre leak tranny fluid all over my new concrete drive because they used plastic fittings instead of metal andmy S10 Blazer fail at 60k because they put an underpowered 2.8L in a 4500 pound vehicle. Every one of these has had at least 1 recall. Meanwhile, they've raked in the profit and overpaid their execs who are making the decisions that shaft us. Over the same period my wife's has 3 Subarus that have performed flawlessly, no recalls no big repairs. She changed to Subaru because her Ford Tempo with 20k on it needed a new front axle and Ford said it was not part of the power train warranty! I was the original "buy American" guy but no more. GM sucks, Ford sucks and Chrysler - I wont even go there. Now I know why everywhere I look I'm seeing foreign cars. It's not because these folks are not patriotic, like I used to think. It's because they don't want to be screwed anymore.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:58 PM

WOW what a stereotypical piece of ****! excuse me look up to your browser...hmm should say TRUCKFORUMS .COM....look face it you were dumb enough to get screwed by a dealership that was out of their damn mind to charge you that much in the first place....but somehting else is goign on here if that is what it actually cost...2 valves plus labor DEFINITELY NOT $1600.00.....and if you were past your 36 month warantee...well that means your warantee was up! and dont complain cause i KNOW FOR A FACT that you have been receiving warantee notifications in the mail to extend it! because GM sends 5 notifications to you before it runs out. but you didnt gety it so now you wanna base all chevy's on your impression that your a dumbass and gotscrewed forsome money!! im laughing at that fact....do us all a favor and buy you a toyota, be pleased, and then go to toyota forums and tell eveyone hopw pleased you are...cause i for one and i know most others as well dont give a flying **** about your troubles anymore!

Old 04-01-2007, 11:20 PM

anyone else think this kid isfull of ****??

Old 04-01-2007, 11:27 PM

I do! I do!

Quick Reply: Bowtie No More